totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
JCW Clutch Replacement Questions
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
RachyS is on a distinguished road

Default JCW Clutch Replacement Questions - 12th October 2015, 11:57 AM

Hi.

The clutch on my 2009 JCW has started to slip. Itís on 90k so probably about due.

When it was just a couple of months old the clutch and flywheel assembly collapsed and was replaced under warranty.

There is no reason I should need to replace the fly wheel this time if the clutch is slipping is there? Sorry if this is a daft question but I know these use a Dual-mass FW and Iíve never had a car with one before.

Secondly, where is the best place to order one?

Lastly, Iíve done several clutches before. Is it a big job or as straight forward as any other fwd clutch replacement? No special tools required etc?

Thanks in Advance?

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
MinIan has disabled reputation

Default 12th October 2015, 12:23 PM

If you are going stock I'd replace the DMF as well as it's a PITA job to strip - most places allow at least 5 hours !! It is a big job but not necessarily complicated - best route is to drop the nearside of the engine

If you want a better clutch I'd wholeheartedly recommend a Helix organic plate with their lighter SMF - great kit and cheaper than the stock option. Hardly any chatter from the SMF and soft pedal with plenty of feel.

They do 4 and 6 paddles if you're also looking at more power

Lohen sell the Helix kits - can't fault their service

The Following User Says Thank You to MinIan For This Useful Post:
RachyS (12th October 2015)
Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 12th October 2015, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the quick reply!

So it is recommended to change the flywheel with the clutch plates? I’ve never done this before when replacing a clutch but as I say, I’ve had no experience with DM before. I don’t honestly know a lot about them or why they are used.

A point that might be worth noting is that this is my mother’s car and no power upgrades are planned. However if a new FW is needed and there is a cheaper option, I would look into this as the OEM FW is in the region or £800 I think?!

Is there any implications with using a SMF as opposed to a DM? Ie, why did BMW fit them in the first place?

Thanks again!

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalAddict
lampros is on a distinguished road

Default 12th October 2015, 09:35 PM

you don't need to replace the flywheel --- stock JCW clutch costs around 220£ quid shipped from Germany -- check link below!:

Original MINI BMW Kupplung R55 R56 R57 R58 R59 John Cooper Works JCW clutch kit | eBay

if you buy a clutch from a UK dealer -- its mandatory to exchange your clutch and works out at 350£ so you save loads of money!

hope this helps!

JCW Clutch Replacement Questions
Old
  (#5 (permalink))
MinIan has disabled reputation

Default JCW Clutch Replacement Questions - 12th October 2015, 10:54 PM

^^^ I didn't say you "have" to change the DMF - however if your DMF packs up after you've replaced the clutch you'd be mighty ****ed !!
The clutches in these cars are renowned for their cheese content - so I'd personally not swap with an oem quality one when there are better alternatives available for the same price

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 13th October 2015, 07:35 AM

Thank you. I appreciate the advice. As I'll be doing it myself, It's not the end of the world if it did need doing again.

Thanks Lampros for that link. I will probably get one ordered. The original has lasted 90k so it should be good enough to last another 90k.

Unless anyone can recommend a better clutch kit for the same money?

Thanks.

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalAddict
lampros is on a distinguished road

Default 13th October 2015, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinIan View Post
^^^ I didn't say you "have" to change the DMF - however if your DMF packs up after you've replaced the clutch you'd be mighty ****ed !!
The clutches in these cars are renowned for their cheese content - so I'd personally not swap with an oem quality one when there are better alternatives available for the same price
agreed, however we are talking about 600£ + more for a decent Helix kit with organic plate....so not sure if worths it...

Drivetrain : Helix Autosport Performance Clutch & Flywheel Kit (Gen 2)