totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
R53 Gone - R56 GP Replacement
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
Addicted To Whine
Chris R53 is on a distinguished road

Default R53 Gone - R56 GP Replacement - 6th July 2016, 10:02 PM

It's only fair to put identical posts on the two Mini forums isn't it?

So I finally got round to making a thread about the car that replaced my R53 in March
I miss this....currently owned by Rigsey on here though and he's going in the right direction with it so far!

I had this car lined up for a while as it was my brothers from new, but in the last 6 months or so I started getting itchy feet and wanting something other than a Mini....after testing a few things and doing the numbers - the GP just hits a sweetspot of price/performance, and it helps that it's 20% more economical than the R53, and about 10 cheaper per month on road tax too! Win win!
Here it is on the day it was collected back in 2013

And an action shot on a track day last year

So I started buying bits when i advertised the R53 and got these few bits to fit as soon as it was mine

Which left the interior like this

The next thing I'd like is some Rennline RS Door pulls, and a set of Recaro Pole Positions as the standard seats just aren't quite buckety enough for my snake hips

And some poor quality ones of it very dirty tonight after a blast around the countryside!
I've done almost 5k miles in it already, and should be able to finish the front tyres off at the end of the month which will probably mean they've lasted 4000 miles!
The black headlight and taillight rings found their way on which was much improved over the chrome, and the TD's run the Kumho V70's in the summer whilst the OEM wheels run the all seasons.

Thoughts compared to the R53?
The supercharged engine was a peach, the noise it made made it sound like you were going 10x quicker and the Milltek made a lovely noise out the back too

The steering was really nice in the R53, not so great on the R56 but it is definitely improved when on the Kumho's apposed to the Goodyear Eagle F1s which imho are a bit ****

Performancewise, this would probably mop the floor with the R53 as is, it's got so much more torque that overtakes tend to be one gear up but this pulls nicely to the redline compared to other R56's I've experienced.

Handling wise, it's a cracking out of the box setup from Mini - despite being on its third set of Bilsteins on the front.... The Kumho's stick like **** to a blanket and tyre wear is comical, although I'm still at a loss as to how people can cope with this car on 'normal' tyres.

Plans?
I have this tasty little number to go on in the coming week, and some gloss black bits for the exterior.

Other than that, it doesn't need all that much! A Quaife would be ideal and I may decide on that once I've determined how long term this car will be.
I'm still undecided about a Manic map, none of the graphs I've seen seem to keep the standard torque delivery and just lump it all in low down like a standard S/JCW which I don't really want.

Looking at Lohen's dyno results, an Akrapovic DP and filter sees these at 250ish bhp which I think is just right, more would be nice but at what expense? A torque steery hatch that'll light up the wheels even more than it does already? Or a piston deciding to see some fresh air as a few have done lately...
The jury's out on that one but I'm pretty happy with it for now!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chris R53 For This Useful Post:
KarlW11R50 (7th July 2016), keano (11th June 2017)
Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAdmin
118 is a jewel in the rough118 is a jewel in the rough118 is a jewel in the rough

Thanked 1,179 Times in 915 Posts

Default 9th July 2016, 02:20 PM

I loved your old R53 Chris, one of the nicest 1st gen's around I think, but the GP2 is definitely a good replacement for it. Look forward to seeing what you do to this one

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
Addicted To Whine

Default 10th July 2016, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 118 View Post
I loved your old R53 Chris, one of the nicest 1st gen's around I think, but the GP2 is definitely a good replacement for it. Look forward to seeing what you do to this one
Thanks! I really do miss the R53 and it has taken me a while to adjust to the R56 and it's taken a few little bits for me to be able to call it "my own"
I think had I gone for a normal JCW or S, I would have regretted it but the GP is so capable and I can't wait to get it on track too.

Plans keep changing at the moment but here's a rough list:
Fit Akrapovic
Lower the Bilsteins
Red wheels? Undecided on that yet but might price it up
Pole Positions or some Cobra Nogaro's would do nicely
Some more carbon interior bits to finish it off
Black fuel flap and door handles
Black belt line

Should be finished then!

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalAddict
KarlW11R50 is on a distinguished road

Default R53 Gone - R56 GP Replacement - 10th July 2016, 08:20 PM

Please don't fit red wheels. Tacky as fook.

Poles look so dated now and would not suit an R56. The Cobras would be an infinitely better opinion.

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
MinIan is Online
MinIan has disabled reputation

Default R53 Gone - R56 GP Replacement - 10th July 2016, 09:41 PM

Nice purchase mate, loved your 53 so looking forward to seeing where you go with this
Agree with Karl on the wheels, also the seats TBH - have you seen that tart Jakes Nogaros they look superb

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
totalAddict
Oakleyguy is on a distinguished road

Default 13th July 2016, 12:57 PM

Great looking GP2, I like the bits of carbon you've added too.
I did this mod, along with the door pulls and dash panels, in my 2013 FJCW.

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalAddict
KarlW11R50 is on a distinguished road

Default R53 Gone - R56 GP Replacement - 13th July 2016, 01:45 PM

I think you should colour code the light rings, filler cap and door handles. Would look fookin lush.

One thing I really don't like about my GP is the filler cap. I wish they had put a Cooper one on rather that the S thing.

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
Addicted To Whine

Default 30th July 2016, 07:44 PM

Just the one quickly....
More to follow

The Following User Says Thank You to Chris R53 For This Useful Post:
KarlW11R50 (30th July 2016)
Old
  (#9 (permalink))
sootyvrs is Online
totalMember
sootyvrs is on a distinguished road

Default 31st July 2016, 12:08 AM

Very nice.. both cars...

The Following User Says Thank You to sootyvrs For This Useful Post:
Chris R53 (31st July 2016)
Old
  (#10 (permalink))
Addicted To Whine

Default 31st July 2016, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlW11R50 View Post
Please don't fit red wheels. Tacky as fook.

Poles look so dated now and would not suit an R56. The Cobras would be an infinitely better opinion.
After the last photo I'm really happy with the anthracite they are at the moment so looks like they're staying!

I need to get myself to GSM and sit in all sorts of seats, with a bit of custom trimming I think Poles would look awesome, or just a red stitched set of Nogaros.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinIan View Post
Nice purchase mate, loved your 53 so looking forward to seeing where you go with this
Agree with Karl on the wheels, also the seats TBH - have you seen that tart Jakes Nogaros they look superb
It's a cracking car, has taken some time to learn to love it but it is a better car than the 53 in most ways.

Jake's seats do look awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleyguy View Post
Great looking GP2, I like the bits of carbon you've added too.
I did this mod, along with the door pulls and dash panels, in my 2013 FJCW.
Dash panels and door pulls are on the list, dash is like rocking horse poo and I fancy doing the door pulls if I get some RS Style door pulls for the handles themselves
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlW11R50 View Post
I think you should colour code the light rings, filler cap and door handles. Would look fookin lush.

One thing I really don't like about my GP is the filler cap. I wish they had put a Cooper one on rather that the S thing.
I like my panda eyes! I'm trying to minimise spending on this one as a lot has changed circumstances wise so I'm enjoying having a car with almost all vital mods done! The filler cap doesn't offend me, but the chrome will be going at some point.