totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
JCW Suspension Options
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalMember
dan73 is on a distinguished road

Default JCW Suspension Options - 15th November 2016, 10:03 AM

I've just found out a front shock is leaking and the warranty ran out in March.

So, I'm wondering whether to replace the shock but probably both fronts with standard shocks or go for something else.

My shocks are marked Sport (M4 I think).

Due to all the potholes and uneven roads around if anything I would like to make the damping better and certainly not worse.

Whilst I'd love to try something like Ohlins, I can't justify the expense, particularly as I'm unlikely to go on track.

So I am mainly wondering about a Bilstein B12 kit and either using the shocks with the stock springs or the whole kit.

Any thoughts?

How much lower is this kit than the factory sport suspension if at all?

Also I shall probably change to non run flats fairly soon. If I am going to need to get the alignment done due to the suspension changes would it make sense to change tyres at the same time or doesn't that matter. If it would I might just keep any eye on the shock absorber weep until spring and do it all together then.

Thoughts, experiences and suggestions appreciated.

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
Total revisitor
buz999 is on a distinguished road

Default 15th November 2016, 11:59 AM

I would say it depends on the mileage/age and your future plans for the car are.

If it's a daily driver I'd just replace both front shocks with standard and get rid of the runflats. You'll notice such a difference with decent normal tyres that you should really do this before spending out big money on new suspension.
I can't offer any insight into coilovers etc as I've only ever lowered my MINI's on Eibach springs with standard dampers and normal tyres.

Whatever you decide I'd recommend a full geometry check after replacing parts so you get the best set up and decent life out of your tyres.

2016 F56 JCW, CR/B, CHILI/TECH/MEDIA, PAN ROOF+RAILS, SUN PROTECTION GLASS, HEATED SCREEN+SEATS, ADAPTIVE DAMPERS, JCW PRO FRONT SPLITTER+MIRROR CAPS+MATS............

The Following User Says Thank You to buz999 For This Useful Post:
dan73 (15th November 2016)
Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalMember

Default 15th November 2016, 02:10 PM

Thanks. On the advice of Cotswold I've asked Mini to submit a goodwill claim as it's done very little mileage since the three year period passed. My plan was always to replace the tyres with Supersports (or PS4 depending which are viewed as best) and have full alignment done. I was going to do this sooner but thought I might as well use up more the tread first as the existing tyres weren't new enough to be worth much as part worns. The B12 kit is very good value for money hence me considering that but I don't want to end up with something even more harsh than it is already.

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalMember

Default 24th November 2016, 06:54 PM

It turned out they offered a decent discount so I've had the shock replaced however I am confused. I thought I had the sport suspension fitted but looking at the VIN data the S226 option is not listed however the original front shocks are labelled ML4 Sport and MR4 Sport. On the rear the only sticker I can get at to see is marked Cooper S.

Realoem shows different part numbers for cars with the sport option and without and then new left shock that's been fitted corresponds with the standard shock listed. Unfortunately I can't manage to get sight of the part number on the right shock to cross reference that with RealOEM. If I had the shock that was taken off I could compare that and will ask the dealer to do so if they still have it but whether they will or not I don't know.

I've seen reference to this before, here:

Sport or standard shocks? - North American Motoring

My main concern is that I have the correct and matching front shocks and also that the alignment is set correctly (as I believe it's quite different between sport and standard). I also want to know which suspension I have for certain. I will measure the ARB diameter with calipers to see whether it's 22.5 mm or 23.5 mm but even if it is 22.5 mm it could still have had sports shocks fitted I guess.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalMember

Default 12th March 2017, 09:25 AM

I've just bought four Michelin Pilot Supersports which I don't want to fit quite yet. I have new discs and pads to fit as well but am just waiting to get a bit more out of what's on and for the weather to improve as I don't have a garage so would like to fit them at the same time then get the geo done, probably at Neinmeister.

However I've still got an almost unberable itch towards fitting a set of Ohlins Road and Track as I've found some at a very competitive price. That said they're still a lot of money and would be a complete indulgence. I'm also wondering whether top-mounts should be changed at the same time (car has done just over 30,000 miles) and whether adjustable drop links or anything else might be necessary though I thought not as it wouldn't be much lower......

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
ground control
tcbw is on a distinguished road

Default 13th March 2017, 06:07 AM

You'd have to get the car properly inspected to check the shock part numbers against the original specification, but one would have to hope that the dealer just changed like for like.

That being said, if you're going to swap out the suspension for coilovers (and I'd love a set of Ohlins R&T too, as an upgrade to my Bilstein B14s which are incredibly firm), it would be best to fit new front top mounts for some adjustability and some new rear lower control arms (again for adjustability). If you want to take it further, get a stiffer rear anti roll bar and new adj. drop links all round, and some poly bushes for the additional precision they offer (especially the front wishbones). Then get the geo done, with some added camber.

And then you'll want some lightweight rims to go with your nice new non run flats...

It's a slippery slope.

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalMember

Default 14th March 2017, 07:10 PM

Though still very tempted I've not bitten the bullet yet. I'm sleeping on it. I've been on the slippery slope before when many years ago I converted a Mk 1 golf to G60. I learned my lesson but the mini is tempting me again as it's similar in some respects.

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
totalMember

Default 26th March 2017, 07:34 PM

I've decided (well I think I have) to stick with standard as with all the potholes about I daren't risk the suspension being harder and it's not that often I get to enjoy it on decent roads. I've just changed the front discs and pads (drilled and grooved discs) and am going to change the rears (ran out of time today due to the time it took to clean all the baked on brake dust off the calipers. I shall then change the battery then go and get my Super Sports fitted. Before I drive it far I then want to book it in to Neinmeister for geo. I managed to measure the front anti roll bar with calipers and it was about 22.75mm so it looks like it does have the standard suspension despite the shocks saying sport on them.

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
totalMember

Default 28th March 2017, 05:59 PM

Brakes, tyres and battery fitted and off to Ninemeister for geo tomorrow. I hadn't given it much thought before but think I'll change the anti-roll bar bushes, probably for Superflex if they're not too hard. Where's the best place to buy them? If I'd thought about it I'd have done them at the same time as the brakes and I need to measure the rear bar diameter to see whether it's 16mm or 17mm.

Old
  (#10 (permalink))
TotallyObsessed
Jordan is on a distinguished road

Default 29th March 2017, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan73 View Post
Brakes, tyres and battery fitted and off to Ninemeister for geo tomorrow. I hadn't given it much thought before but think I'll change the anti-roll bar bushes, probably for Superflex if they're not too hard. Where's the best place to buy them? If I'd thought about it I'd have done them at the same time as the brakes and I need to measure the rear bar diameter to see whether it's 16mm or 17mm.
just order a new thicker rear arb from oli at orranje, you wont be dissapointed. i had one it was great and will come with new bushes

Tags
bilstein b12, suspension