totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Should I buy a fJCW R56?!
Old
  (#11 (permalink))
totalAddict
keano is on a distinguished road

Default Should I buy a fJCW R56?! - 10th June 2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R53 View Post
Still miss the R53! I think Rigsey is selling it in November if I remember correctly....

R53 Gone - R56 GP Replacement

I'm lucky to have a good comparison, my mum has a 63 plate fully loaded JCW and I've got the GP with DP and Ohlins - the delivery of the S/JCW is a lot more torquey lower down and makes it 'feel' faster but they don't have the appetite for the top end that the GP has.

It's what puts me off about an out of the box Manic map as they all seem to revert to a big torque spike lower down whereas the GP is nicely linear (as linear as a turbo can be I suppose...)

The GP seems to have reached its point in the market now so residuals wise should be ok... I may be selling for an ///M of some form soon though ...

Yeah it'll be that torque spike that kills clutches too...

For me linear it better - more manageable in terms of torque steer and I like the slightly frantic nature as you get to top end of the revs!! That's fun whereas a big dollop of torque steer and tramlining is just frustrating...

I keep flirting with M but too easy to put in ditches and it worries me with the latest turbo offerings. Mentally quick though. Would have a v8 m3 just for the noise - mods don't really bother me these days so bring on the noise! Lol

Old
  (#12 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default Should I buy a fJCW R56?! - 10th June 2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleyguy View Post
Absolutely you should!

I purchased my 2013 FJCW in May 2016 and it's been fantastic.

Now, I did consider buying a GP2, however, after weighing up the pros + cons of each, I went for the R56 FJCW.

I felt things like rear seats, half decent H/K hifi, rear screen wipe etc were a must for me.

My FJCW is way fast enough for me and the added 'creature comforts' make it ideal.

Cheers for your input. You've got a good point in regards the creature comforts, although the gp2 is at least better than the first GP in that regard.

Slight issue I have found to date is I don't like the red roof cars and there are loads of them and few of the black/body colour options...

Rear seats is of no concern as it will be used as a 2 seater anyhow really as got the golf for passengers.

You had any issues with your car?

Old
  (#13 (permalink))
I feel the need..........
Scrounger is on a distinguished road

Default Should I buy a fJCW R56?! - 10th June 2017, 05:29 PM

Deffo JCW and N18 engine. More fuel efficient and no coking issues.

I'd be back in an R56 JCW in a heart beat if I could but growing kids prevents it at the min.

GP2 is epic. HUGH brembos on the front and massive amount of power with loads left to play with. However, no rear seats but as a plus you've lots of extra boot space.

More toys on a JCW though.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scrounger For This Useful Post:
keano (10th June 2017)
Old
  (#14 (permalink))
Back in the game
Blue Al is on a distinguished road

Default 10th June 2017, 08:29 PM

How long would you keep it
How many miles would you put on it

If staying stock is the plan gp 2 is better out of the box
If your going to mod then start cheaper

You know all this any way ?

Old
  (#15 (permalink))
totalAddict
encee will become famous soon enough

Default 10th June 2017, 09:40 PM

You still got the Golf R then Keano, or is it going ?

From what you`ve said here, it appears that a GP2 is right up your street.

If I can offer some advice - In the last couple of years I`ve owned both an E92 M3 (which I`m sure you`re aware is the V8 one), and an Audi RS5, and honestly, although both of them are absolute leviathans on the road, for both speed and noise - and it might sound daft this - for the road, they`re just too bloody fast !

By the time they`re just starting to stretch their legs, even a bit, you`re into licence-losing territory, so you just can`t use them properly for 95% of the time.
Great if you`re on the tracks regularly, or always off to Germany on the autobahns, but over here, I really don`t think you can get better enjoyment - on the road - than in a MINI JCW, but I`m sure I don`t need to remind you of that !

Good luck with your search mate - oh, and get a GP2 !!

The Following User Says Thank You to encee For This Useful Post:
keano (11th June 2017)
Old
  (#16 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default Should I buy a fJCW R56?! - 11th June 2017, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Al View Post
How long would you keep it
How many miles would you put on it

If staying stock is the plan gp 2 is better out of the box
If your going to mod then start cheaper

You know all this any way ?

Not sure as it depends how reliable it is.

Likely not more than around 5k

Yep, those principles apply but I would mod each option to an extent, so perhaps an overall bang for buck question for which is best. Sounds like nothing has changed in reliability stakes so far...

Old
  (#17 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default Should I buy a fJCW R56?! - 11th June 2017, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by encee View Post
You still got the Golf R then Keano, or is it going ?

From what you`ve said here, it appears that a GP2 is right up your street.

If I can offer some advice - In the last couple of years I`ve owned both an E92 M3 (which I`m sure you`re aware is the V8 one), and an Audi RS5, and honestly, although both of them are absolute leviathans on the road, for both speed and noise - and it might sound daft this - for the road, they`re just too bloody fast !

By the time they`re just starting to stretch their legs, even a bit, you`re into licence-losing territory, so you just can`t use them properly for 95% of the time.

Great if you`re on the tracks regularly, or always off to Germany on the autobahns, but over here, I really don`t think you can get better enjoyment - on the road - than in a MINI JCW, but I`m sure I don`t need to remind you of that !

Good luck with your search mate - oh, and get a GP2 !!

Still got the R and it's staying.

Know exactly what you're saying there and it's something I've thought about a lot on modern cars recently. So many of them are just so fast etc that they aren't quite as fun / slight frustrating on the road. A small engine rental can be more of a giggle at times when you wring its neck!!! Lol

The noise from the v8 m3 is the main draw there for me!!

Oddly enough whilst I want my cars to still be quick, it's not all about the performance for me these days. A bit of character is actually really important, even if that's from a fruity exhaust or just a load of fun.

The Following User Says Thank You to keano For This Useful Post:
encee (11th June 2017)
Old
  (#18 (permalink))
totalAddict
Oakleyguy is on a distinguished road

Default 11th June 2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano View Post
Cheers for your input. You've got a good point in regards the creature comforts, although the gp2 is at least better than the first GP in that regard.

Slight issue I have found to date is I don't like the red roof cars and there are loads of them and few of the black/body colour options...

Rear seats is of no concern as it will be used as a 2 seater anyhow really as got the golf for passengers.

You had any issues with your car?
No issues, famous last words!
It's only got 18k on the clock and I change my oil every 12 months/5,000 miles anyway, always do on my cars. (I enjoy looking after my Minis, it's not a chore to me)
I'm lucky, mine is all Black, Recaro interior, even got the Black light surrounds (front & rear) and front headlight washer covers in Black too.
I sometime wonder if it looks too Black!

Old
  (#19 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default Should I buy a fJCW R56?! - 11th June 2017, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakleyguy View Post
No issues, famous last words!
It's only got 18k on the clock and I change my oil every 12 months/5,000 miles anyway, always do on my cars. (I enjoy looking after my Minis, it's not a chore to me)
I'm lucky, mine is all Black, Recaro interior, even got the Black light surrounds (front & rear) and front headlight washer covers in Black too.
I sometime wonder if it looks too Black!

Sounds a good spec - wana sell it to me?! Lol

Keeping up with he servicing is a good practice - I'm assuming I will need to factor in a decoke as part of that too as a matter of course. Prevention being key imho.

Old
  (#20 (permalink))
Addicted To Whine
Chris R53 is on a distinguished road

Default 11th June 2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano View Post
Sounds a good spec - wana sell it to me?! Lol

Keeping up with he servicing is a good practice - I'm assuming I will need to factor in a decoke as part of that too as a matter of course. Prevention being key imho.
From the sounds of things, I don't think anyone has had an N18 decoked yet?
I was going to pull my strut brace and airbox off to try and have a look and see what the situation is at 50k.

Here's another full black one to tickle your fancy

The Following User Says Thank You to Chris R53 For This Useful Post:
keano (11th June 2017)