totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Do I Lower My JCW??
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
JNTRUE is on a distinguished road

Default Do I Lower My JCW?? - 13th September 2017, 03:42 PM

Hi guys,

Recently bought an R56 2011 JCW and love it. I am happy with performance at the moment and will likely look to tune in six months or so, so in the meantime want to do some cosmetic work.

I am going to dechrome the car (bar the door handles) and install black line lights this weekend, but i want the ride to be lower.

I am going to avoid coilovers due to the price tag for those that are worth installing, and I'm under the impression that spring will ruin my stock dampers pretty quickly, plus the ride is harsh enough....the RF will be replaced too!

What are peoples thoughts on the 'Vogtland Club Lowering Suspension Kit' - Suspension Kits | Demon Tweeks

I think this is the best option - and unlike springs, I'd be happy fitting these myself.

Any advice...my only concern is that the front often scrapes speed bumps as it is!

thanks
JN

The Following User Says Thank You to JNTRUE For This Useful Post:
Little Red Rhino (14th September 2017)
Do I Lower My JCW??
Old
  (#2 (permalink))
Kettlepot is Online
totalMember
Kettlepot is on a distinguished road

Default Do I Lower My JCW?? - 13th September 2017, 08:29 PM

Lowering the car will lower the centre of gravity which "generally" helps the car handle better.
Better springs and better shocks help the car handle better.
Tie these together and you have your answer.
You get exactly what you pay for, why spend 100 (approx) on four springs when you can't get replacement stock springs that cheap !
I went coilovers for the first time with my R56 and don't regret it, I just have to be careful at speed bumps as I went quite low but the handling is massively improved

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
ground control
tcbw is on a distinguished road

Default 14th September 2017, 05:35 AM

I'm sure that kit is worth what you pay for it...

I'd increase the budget to run a set of ST coilovers (made by KW) or forget it. There's no such thing as simple lowering.

And if you do go lower, at the very least you'll need new camber arms at the rear to reduce the negative camber, and you'll probably also want adjustable top mounts at the front and adjustable drop links all round. And a realignment and full set up... it's a slippery slope.

Do I Lower My JCW??
Old
  (#4 (permalink))
Kettlepot is Online
totalMember
Kettlepot is on a distinguished road

Default Do I Lower My JCW?? - 14th September 2017, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbw View Post

And if you do go lower, at the very least you'll need new camber arms at the rear to reduce the negative camber, and you'll probably also want adjustable top mounts at the front and adjustable drop links all round. And a realignment and full set up... it's a slippery slope.

I went for the ST XTA adjustable with top mounts. I fitted 10mm spacers at the same time but I've not needed control arms yet. I had a full alignment done approx 15000 miles ago and haven't had any issues so far

Tags
jcw, lowering, mini, r56, springs