totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
exhaust rattle..
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
Fartin Martin is Offline
totalMember
Fartin Martin is on a distinguished road
 
Fartin Martin's Avatar
 
Posts: 55
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Join Date: Apr 2013
   
Default exhaust rattle.. - 21st June 2014, 08:32 PM

had a wee scoot about the forum to see if anyone's had anything similar..I've noticed since I've had the car that when you take your foot off the gas, when the rpm gets to about 1 and a half, the exhaust has a sort of tinny rattle sound? I think its the exhaust anyway! lol anyone any ideas? cars in monday to have the roof looked at cos its banging quite loudly when it's down.

MOV 6067 mp4 - YouTube
  
Reply With Quote
exhaust rattle..
Old
  (#2 (permalink))
Fartin Martin is Offline
totalMember
Fartin Martin is on a distinguished road
 
Fartin Martin's Avatar
 
Posts: 55
Thanks: 1
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Join Date: Apr 2013
   
Default exhaust rattle.. - 22nd June 2014, 04:52 PM

Aaaaaaanyone?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3 (permalink))
118 is Offline
totalAdmin
118 is a jewel in the rough118 is a jewel in the rough118 is a jewel in the rough
 
118's Avatar
 
Posts: 3,239
Thanks: 1,088
Thanked 1,184 Times in 920 Posts
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: West Sussex
   
Default 22nd June 2014, 04:58 PM

I've moved it to the JCW forum for you Farty, might get a bit more notice in here from other JCW owners


  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4 (permalink))
Dale-90 is Offline
totalMember
Dale-90 is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 50
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Upminster, Essex
   
Default 23rd June 2014, 08:24 AM

I do get this sometimes as well
Will probs get it looked at soon
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5 (permalink))
George is Offline
totalMember
George is on a distinguished road
 
George's Avatar
 
Posts: 66
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Surrey
   
Default 23rd June 2014, 05:39 PM

Finally someone else whose noticed this!!

It's been doing my head in since day one. I've had a whole new exhaust system & turbo all under warrenty to try solve it.

We think we've solved it by coming to the conclusion it's the wastegate valve which opens at about 1500rpm. Unfortunately this is as im told a 'charecteristic' despite it sounding like a bag of nails every time i slow down, slightly embarrassing in a multi-story car park as its amplified quite a lot.


2013 FJCW in Chilli Red & Carbon
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#6 (permalink))
Dale-90 is Offline
totalMember
Dale-90 is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 50
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Upminster, Essex
   
Default 24th June 2014, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Finally someone else whose noticed this!!

It's been doing my head in since day one. I've had a whole new exhaust system & turbo all under warrenty to try solve it.

We think we've solved it by coming to the conclusion it's the wastegate valve which opens at about 1500rpm. Unfortunately this is as im told a 'charecteristic' despite it sounding like a bag of nails every time i slow down, slightly embarrassing in a multi-story car park as its amplified quite a lot.
The sound i get happens when slowing up between 2000-1000 revs with no gas
i feel like the sound could be the heat sheild or something above the rear of the exhaust
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7 (permalink))
George is Offline
totalMember
George is on a distinguished road
 
George's Avatar
 
Posts: 66
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Surrey
   
Default 25th June 2014, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale-90 View Post
The sound i get happens when slowing up between 2000-1000 revs with no gas
i feel like the sound could be the heat sheild or something above the rear of the exhaust
Yep that's the exact same noise. It's definitely none of the heat shields as we took all of these off & tried it & the noise was still present.

If you have a look at north american racing mini forum they had a thread from about a year ago where if i remember correctly someone found the root of the problem.

If you're ever near a 335i on start up or the new 4cyl turbo engines on BMWs they have the exact same noise.


2013 FJCW in Chilli Red & Carbon
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#8 (permalink))
Dale-90 is Offline
totalMember
Dale-90 is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 50
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Upminster, Essex
   
Default 28th July 2014, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Yep that's the exact same noise. It's definitely none of the heat shields as we took all of these off & tried it & the noise was still present.

If you have a look at north american racing mini forum they had a thread from about a year ago where if i remember correctly someone found the root of the problem.

If you're ever near a 335i on start up or the new 4cyl turbo engines on BMWs they have the exact same noise.
Any updates on this mate?
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9 (permalink))
George is Offline
totalMember
George is on a distinguished road
 
George's Avatar
 
Posts: 66
Thanks: 1
Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Surrey
   
Default 28th July 2014, 05:24 PM

Yeah the update was that its meant to sound like that. Slightly embarrassing in a multi story car park or town traffic when it sounds like you have something metal from your car dragging along the ground!


2013 FJCW in Chilli Red & Carbon
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#10 (permalink))
Dale-90 is Offline
totalMember
Dale-90 is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 50
Thanks: 12
Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Upminster, Essex
   
Default 9th August 2014, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George View Post
Yeah the update was that its meant to sound like that. Slightly embarrassing in a multi story car park or town traffic when it sounds like you have something metal from your car dragging along the ground!
Awwww right lol
Well i can live with it but yeh echo's more in the multi storey car parks like you said haa!
  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
engine, exhaust, rattle

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC2
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com