totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Advice needed for swap from Audi S5 V8 to R56 MCS JCW
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
danJCW is on a distinguished road

Default Advice needed for swap from Audi S5 V8 to R56 MCS JCW - 8th July 2014, 01:23 PM

Hi all,

It took me awhile to find this site (other Mini forums seemed a bit dead!), but I've been reading this JCW forums and I've seen a number of people with similar opinions to mine which is promising!

Anyway, I need a bit of advice. I've had a couple of E46's including an M3 SMG and a 330Ci auto, a MK5 Golf GTI DSG (short-lived as I didn't like it), and I currently have an Audi S5 V8 auto. I've always liked big power and rear wheel drive. The missus used to have a regular R53 Cooper and it was so much fun to drive. Admittedly the other cars are all epic and comfortable, but let's face it most of the time you don't get to use their performance. The mini was just great fun to take around the lanes for a blast.

Although I love the V8 and luxury of the S5, I was in Arden Maidstone the other day and they have a GP2 in which I took out for a spin. The Arden woman spent most of the time screaming, but I was grinning like a child the whole time (about 45 mins of balls-out fun!), it was so much fun to drive and I would put it on a par (faster) than the S5, other than straight-line speed. I couldn't believe that it managed sensible MPG the whole time too. I loved it, but it's just to expensive (26k). I also drove the brand new Cooper S, but it was a bit soft and regular/boring for me.

I love the S5 but the economy is frankly obscene and it does seem to have a status about it which I'm not overly keen on. I think a mini is less obvious and more fun.

So that brings me to my question. They have a late 11 John Cooper Works, black with red details, 29k miles, with the Visual Boost stereo, black and red, and they say it belonged to a forum member (someone on here?). The price is 17k and it's got the whole tuning package (a proper JCW). Does it really matter if you don't have sat-nav - i.e. can you do some screen sharing thing from your phone to the visual boost stereo to use your phone sat nav? Also, does that price sound fair?

I'm keen to hear experience from others who have made jumps from bigger faster cars, and how they have found the Mini? I have no kids, but will be getting married next year. I want a car which is refined enough to cruise on the motorway, but still fun to drive and has a nice sound and feels special. The JCW seems to tick all the boxes - although most people I know are surprised I'm considering one! It's also going to be a manual which is the first manual car I have owned in a number of years. Are the auto Cooper S models any good?

Also, on the very rare offchance that any of you with a 2010 onwards Mini JCW are interested in a PX/swap with an S5, here is the ad: Used 2008 Audi S5 S5 FSI QUATTRO for sale in Kent | Pistonheads

Here are a couple of pics too (any excuse!):

Last edited by danJCW; 8th July 2014 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added pictures

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAddict
keano is on a distinguished road

Default 8th July 2014, 02:35 PM

Welcome

That's a lot of words.... just get the JCW and stop messing around Toys you can live without - you got a road map ? If you have you will be fine without nav - Ive got nav in my car and have never used it...

If you're running away from carbon build up on valves then beware the R56 suffers from it too but if you want an R56 the fJCW (Factory JCW) is the way to go.

Lovely looking S5 BTW but Im fairly sure you will enjoy the fJCW more - a few choice mods (suspension, downpipe, intercooler, intake, remap and proper tyres/wheels) and they are really rather good fast dailies.... even in stock form they are great down the lanes

Enjoy shopping for your R56

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 8th July 2014, 02:44 PM

Ha ha, sorry Keano - I do waffle on a bit if someone isn't around to stop me...

No issues with carbon build-up, but that point is noted. I'm almost certain I will be getting the R56 fJCW. Is there any difference in the engines between the GP2 and the R56 fJCW?

Point also noted about the sat nav. I can use the phone for that...

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 8th July 2014, 03:09 PM

No worries dude, Im probably worse! lol

There are N14 and N18 JCW engines but you're looking at later fJCWs which are all (post 07/2010 IIRC) N18s so the same as the GP2, although the GP has a touch more power (~7bhp was it?) but is the same unit.

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalAddict
MINIAC has disabled reputation

Default 8th July 2014, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano View Post
There are N14 and N18 JCW engines but you're looking at later fJCWs which are all (post 07/2010 IIRC) N18s so the same as the GP2, although the GP has a touch more power (~7bhp was it?) but is the same unit.
Looking at RealOEM, the JCW didn't get the N18 engine until the 2013 model year (builds July 2012 onward).

The Following User Says Thank You to MINIAC For This Useful Post:
keano (8th July 2014)
Old
  (#6 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 8th July 2014, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINIAC View Post
Looking at RealOEM, the JCW didn't get the N18 engine until the 2013 model year (builds July 2012 onward).
Thanks - the date I mentioned must just be associated with the LCI model build start...? Either that or Im just making it all up - I should have checked first lol

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalAddict
MINIAC has disabled reputation

Default 8th July 2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano View Post
... the date I mentioned must just be associated with the LCI model build start...? Either that or Im just making it all up - I should have checked first lol
I think Euro Cooper S models got the N18 engine effective with March 2010 builds. Other markets got it effective with the LCI (July 2010).

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
Our Not So Mini MINI F55S
Bristle Hound is on a distinguished road

Thanked 1,531 Times in 1,277 Posts

Default 8th July 2014, 04:58 PM

Welcome to tM Dan

This might help you with engines Dan
Difference Between The New R56 FJCW Engine & The Old

GP2 has the N18 engine

Nice S5 BTW

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
totalMember
MINI William is on a distinguished road

Default 8th July 2014, 05:45 PM

JCW is a great car and always puts a smile on your face.

Old
  (#10 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 8th July 2014, 08:23 PM

Cheers all!

Took your advice - thought "f**k it" and put the deposit down! Got three weeks to sell the S5 now. I've never bought a car so impulsively so hopefully it all works out lol.

I did actually notice that it was quieter than the GP for pops and bangs but the salesman told me it was just because the GP had no rear seats, but now I know it's because of the engine change. Shame as I really liked the pops and bangs, but hopefully a small mod like a downpipe will improve that. Also I assumed (incorrectly) that the GP brakes and the fJCW brakes were the same, the fJCW brakes aren't that good IMO although I didn't really push it as the missus and the sales guy were in the car and it was rush hour. The salesman told me that after the GP test drive she did with me, the other woman has refused to go out in the GP again ha ha. I'm counting that as a win...

I'm really excited to pick it up (even more than I was with the S5 which is saying something!). The car is borderline immaculate, it really is. The only thing I am irritated about is that the original previous owner didn't spec the visibility pack which is such a basic thing IMO - auto lights/wipers and auto dimming rear view mirror should be standard on a car of this level. I guess it's a PITA to retrofit too!

Anyway, deposit down, in a few weeks I'll be hammering about in it!

Couple of shots:

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to danJCW For This Useful Post:
keano (9th July 2014), SCOTTM (8th July 2014)