totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
MINI INSURED WARRANTY -worth it?
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
negativeyardage is on a distinguished road

Default MINI INSURED WARRANTY -worth it? - 19th September 2017, 08:34 PM

Hey guys,
My Approved Mini Countryman S ALL4 (Automatic gearbox) (April.2014 reg) is coming to the end of its 1 year tenure with me, at just over 27k miles.
Got a letter from MINI offering me to purchase my Mini Insured Warranty right before my 1yr tenure.

So this is something to shield me from the costs of unexpected repairs and replacement parts. Apparently it will cover even failure due to wear and tear for covered components (whatever that means) too.
They are quoting me 590 a year. I dont know if it is worth it. Any opinions??

I mean how likely is it that I will face unexpected repairs or require replacement parts given where my car is at in its current life cycle?

p.s. when i switch to 'Sport' mode, no matter what I do i dont hear a 'pop'. Is that a sign of something to come? Or something that requires fixing?

Cheers!

-ny

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
1st Mini
7head is on a distinguished road

Default 19th September 2017, 09:53 PM

I have the same dilemma soon.... I may not do it at over 50 quid a month though!

Regarding the pops and bangs, I didn't get any either initially.... my exhaust was quite coked up and the CM is much more sound insulated so the noises are quite subtle from inside the cabin.

I took mine out and gave it a good "Italian tune up" getting the exhaust nice and hot, (I always use Tesco 99 fuel which seems to agree with the sound effects) run up to about 40- 50 in 3rd when the exhaust is hot, accelerate hard until you approach 5k revs then let off completely so you over run..... do this a couple of times with the window open and you should start to hear them.

Mine is best when dropping down a couple of gears on over-run letting the engine do the deceleration.... it pops and crackles nicely.....in sport mode only of course.

R60 Cooper S auto, Pure red, chilli, media and light packs. Harman Kardon. Lots of mods to come.....

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road

Default 19th September 2017, 10:06 PM

We currently have the policy on our Roadster and we also had the policy on our previous 2013 Countryman. The new wear and tear policy now covers clutches and gearboxes as well as providing full breakdown cover (home, recovery, overnight hotel stay and courtesy car). We opted for the higher excess (250) to reduce the premium where we pay by instalments at 0% APR.

It's all to do with peace of mind and we are glad we had the cover with our previous Countryman breaking down due to EGR value failure. If we didn't have cover, it would have been a repair bill of 500 upwards but just one phone call to MINI Breakdown Assist, they recovered the Countryman to the local MINI dealer, authorised the work, arranged a courtesy to our home address and sorted the delivery of my Countryman. By shopping around you will probably find other warranty companies being cheaper but they will make all sort of excuses not to cover the repairs.

On your 'pop' question, have a read of this....

Pops and bangs from standard Cooper S in sport mode

Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalAddict
wlondoner is on a distinguished road

Default 19th September 2017, 11:54 PM

I think it's a total waste of money your best saving that money instead and if you land up not using it for repairs to put it towards your next car.

It's only done 27k which is nothing.

Now:F56 MINI Dooper MidnightBlack (Chili, Full White leather, Connected XL Nav, adaptive dampers, heated seats, HUD, Harmon Kardon speakers, black alloys)
Before:F56 MINI Dooper IcedChoc (Chili,VisualBoost,Leather)
Before: R56 MINI Cooper Lightning Blue (Chili,half leather)
Before :R50 MINI One Moonlight Black (Pepper)
+ 2 Audi TT MK2s in between.

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalBeginner
negativeyardage is on a distinguished road

Default 20th September 2017, 01:15 AM

Thanks peeps for piping in. Just realized if i swap my excess from 100 to 250, then the price drops to 452. Anyway all in all, given the car is on 27k and only gets driven 5-6k miles a yr, think I am more leaning towards giving it a pass.

Also thanks for sharing the pops & bangs link, and other tips around what can be done. Will try it out when I can, see how I get on

Cheers!

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
Formally was Mini S Mad
JcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of light

Thanked 1,620 Times in 1,444 Posts

Default 20th September 2017, 07:20 AM

It's a few years old now but I asked the exac same question

. Extend sapphies warranty or not - HELLLLLP & advice needed pls

For me personally with a n14 r56 it was pretty much a no brainer & so glad I did in the end as have big clutch issues less than a year after taking out & full works 11 months later so I've well untrully had my money's worth.

All I said is check what is covered & not & ensure your happy/aware of that. Do the higher excess to start with to lower the costs then adjust if req like I've done.
Or as been said if you have a good little Indy garage that can do the work & not fussed about keep full mini history etc then save the money & it's there as a back up.

It's one of those real dilemmas you could take it out & never need it but then you could end up like me in less than a yrs time either regretting it cause you've not taken out & needed or pleased you did. Also depends on how long you intend to keep the mini to.

Hope that helps

MODERN MINI FRONT COVER STAR

Tags
insured, repairs, replacement parts, warranty