totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > totalTalk > Dealership Feedback
Reload this Page Brand New Mini, or not so brand new

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear
Old
  (#11 (permalink))
ydnaharap
ydnaharap is on a distinguished road

Default Oh Dear, Oh Dear, Oh Dear - 2nd September 2016, 05:19 PM

The Saga continues.

After BMW warranty's extensive paintwork rectification of last winter, a story you would not believe and one that awaits an appropriate period of time to tell we now have another paintwork warranty issue.

The vehicle looks immaculate unless to a discerning eye it can be noted it's forty shades of white there has been so many panels repainted

I now almost feel embarressed for BMW about the totally incomprehensible nature of their vehicle sold to us as new, unregistered and confirmed by franchise/BMW that it had never been damaged or repaired at the time.

It now has a warranty rectification issue in the roof which whilst the vehicle has been with us has never been damaged or subject to any of the previous BMW warranty works.

We have employed an Insurance Assessor for our vehicle inspection from new to determine the issues and rectifications required for the vehicle and to reassure ourselves the Insurance Industry Quality Standards have been met by BMW rectification work.

The vehicle in it's 7th year has only done 53k full service history and had a gentle life.

Our vehicle build etc was a mistake somewhere but when will Global Companies have the humility and ability to admit their mistakes.

I can accept a mistake but not a blatant lack of any comprehension of BMW Quality Control/Assurance, Franchise, Customer Services,Technical Manager or Approved Bodyshops to honourably admit the reality of the problem but to deny any exists, only to fix it.

We now have only 5 years and 3 months left of the bodywork anti-perforation Warranty to go.

TTFN

Old
  (#12 (permalink))
ydnaharap

Default 2nd September 2016, 05:23 PM

The Saga continues.

After BMW warranty's extensive paintwork rectification of last winter, a story you would not believe and one that awaits an appropriate period of time to tell we now have another paintwork warranty issue.

The vehicle looks immaculate unless to a discerning eye it can be noted it's forty shades of white there has been so many panels repainted

I now almost feel embarressed for BMW about the totally incomprehensible nature of their vehicle sold to us as new, unregistered and confirmed by franchise/BMW that it had never been damaged or repaired at the time.

It now has a warranty rectification issue in the roof which whilst the vehicle has been with us has never been damaged or subject to any of the previous BMW warranty works.

We have employed an Insurance Assessor for our vehicle inspection from new to determine the issues and rectifications required for the vehicle and to reassure ourselves the Insurance Industry Quality Standards have been met by BMW rectification work.

The vehicle in it's 7th year has only done 53k full service history and had a gentle life.

Our vehicle build etc was a mistake somewhere but when will Global Companies have the humility and ability to admit their mistakes.

I can accept a mistake but not a blatant lack of any comprehension of BMW Quality Control/Assurance, Franchise, Customer Services,Technical Manager or Approved Bodyshops to honourably admit the reality of the problem but to deny any exists, only to fix it.

We now have only 5 years and 3 months left of the bodywork anti-perforation Warranty to go.

TTFN

Old
  (#13 (permalink))
totalAddict
rich918 is on a distinguished road

Default 2nd September 2016, 07:30 PM

and so it goes on and on and on

Old
  (#14 (permalink))
ydnaharap

Default 2nd February 2018, 03:08 PM

A belated update.

The car was retrieved the next morning from our home by JC Abz with a courtesy car provided, the several bodywork rust areas were approved by Stephen Knowles BMW Technical Manager for repair under paint warranty.

A further issue of an oil leak from the turbocharger (mileage around 48k) would also be repaired agreed with BMW that we pay labour they provide free of charge parts and we also took the opportunity to replace all the roof corroded trim. Total cost around £2.4k we paid around +£400

After some weeks and one change out of the courtesy car a call from JC Abz rep advised he was taking our vehicle for a test drive to check it out and it would be returned to us the the next day.

Later that day he called and advised the car had been parked under a automatic roller door and it had closed, not stopped as it should resulting in a smashed the rear windscreen.

The following day he called and advised when the rear windscreen was removed rust on the bottom window rebate had been detected and that the vehicle would have to return to the body shop.

Some time later our vehicle was returned to our home fully repaired. It was immaculate apart from that of a descerning eye of several shades of pepper white. We replaced the wheels with the original ones stored from new and in respect to bodywork condition and MPG(62.5mpg) it was considerably better at meeting our expectations than when bought it new. A satisfied customer finally after 7 years.

SO ONWARDS TO OUR OTHER 2010 MINI COOPER D BOUGHT NEW AND PREVIOUSLY UNREGISTERED

This vehicle was observed to have what I considered sub surface corrosion in the rear windscreen bottom rebate and the bottom side panel the same as the above vehicle and duly advised to JC Abz prior to it,s 3rd service with them.

JC Abz advised that SK BMW Tech Mngr had approved the window rebate rust to be repaired under warranty and the side panel was due to pitting and not subject to BMW warranty repair. Time will tell.

The vehicle has since new occasionaly gone into limp mode with no MIL/engine light warning, it then clears itself to normal. This has been advised when the vehicle has been serviced but never cured It has a fuel consumption of 48mpg (BMW engine) THe other 2009 Mini (peugot engine?) returned 62.5mpg- same driver same journeys, my better half who only knows one way to drive, her way.

Recently I have had a warranty issue with our Volvo V40 D4 and bit the bullet and bought an OBD scan tool to carry fault code and live data checks on the vehicle and on reflection I should of done this years ago but that is another story for a Volvo forum.

Suffice to say that I checked out the Mini with the OBD tool and on the live data recorded the engine temperature sensor from cold start to normal operating temperature as static at 36F

As a layman I speculate that the cooling sensor temperature sensor will not indicate it is faulty unless it has an open circuit and has been relaying the wrong infomation to the engine management system resulting in incorrect fuel metering to the engine resulting in low mpg/high fuel cost some 24% more than our other Mini and its been like from delivery of the the vehicle new to us.

I have ordered a new sensor and await it's arrival, fitting, Live Data Test and the better half's driving future fuel consumption with anticipation.

TTFN

Old
  (#15 (permalink))
ydnaharap

Default 3rd February 2018, 02:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich918 View Post
and so it goes on and on and on
Are you a car Industry rep? I came across them before in the same thread that no longer exists after 2014/15 due to the total crash and loss of information of this website but existed till then from 2009.

We all have views and opinions I respect yours but if it my posts aggrieve you need not visit.

All my love Ydnaharap

Old
  (#16 (permalink))
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road

Default 3rd February 2018, 11:22 AM

Nice to read the majority of your issues have been sorted and I cringed reading that shutter incident! On the fuel consumption, that’s perfectly expected of the BMW diesel engines due to stricter emission levels imposed by the EU, this introduced Dust Particle Filters (DPF) and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valves which impact on fuel consumption. Saying that, I find the higher premium diesel returns better mpg.

Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report

Last edited by zf44; 3rd February 2018 at 11:37 AM.

Old
  (#17 (permalink))
totalAddict
wlondoner is on a distinguished road

Default 3rd February 2018, 12:21 PM

Agree with zf44 on premium diesel = even better mpg
I use Shell Nitro plus diesel

Now:F56 MINI Dooper MidnightBlack (Chili, Full White leather, Connected XL Nav, adaptive dampers, heated seats, HUD, Harmon Kardon speakers, black alloys)
Before:F56 MINI Dooper IcedChoc (Chili,VisualBoost,Leather)
Before: R56 MINI Cooper Lightning Blue (Chili,half leather)
Before :R50 MINI One Moonlight Black (Pepper)
+ 2 Audi TT MK2s in between.

Old
  (#18 (permalink))
ydnaharap

Default 3rd February 2018, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zf44 View Post
Nice to read the majority of your issues have been sorted and I cringed reading that shutter incident! On the fuel consumption, thatís perfectly expected of the BMW diesel engines due to stricter emission levels imposed by the EU, this introduced Dust Particle Filters (DPF) and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valves which impact on fuel consumption. Saying that, I find the higher premium diesel returns better mpg.
I am not so sure, but will check. However a quick glance at What Car mags I have for the time the cars were purchased state the Sept 2009 Mini cooper D(Peugot?) 1.6 returns averages 72.4mpg, the Oct 2010 cooper D (BMW) 1.6 returns an average 74.3mpg

All things being equal in the unrealistic EN test standard for mpg True or false?

Old
  (#19 (permalink))
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road

Default 3rd February 2018, 04:25 PM

Unfortunately, there is now a huge discrepancy between published and true mpg figures. Our Roadster SD showed upto 70mpg but relistically we are only achieving in the low 50s and that is why car publications similar to Whatcar have a separate column showing true mpg. There is also a review from Honest John on the realistic mpg achieved by the Cooper D:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg...iesel-r56-2007

When the BMW/MINI diesel engines were introduced, they wanted to attract new buyers as well as existing owners to upgrade to the newer low emission diesel engines. These newer engines attracted nil road tax, compared to £30 previously, on the hatch but regrettably mpg wasnít the same as the previous PSA engines.

Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report

Old
  (#20 (permalink))
ydnaharap

Default 4th February 2018, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zf44 View Post
Unfortunately, there is now a huge discrepancy between published and true mpg figures. Our Roadster SD showed upto 70mpg but relistically we are only achieving in the low 50s and that is why car publications similar to Whatcar have a separate column showing true mpg. There is also a review from Honest John on the realistic mpg achieved by the Cooper D:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg...iesel-r56-2007

When the BMW/MINI diesel engines were introduced, they wanted to attract new buyers as well as existing owners to upgrade to the newer low emission diesel engines. These newer engines attracted nil road tax, compared to £30 previously, on the hatch but regrettably mpg wasnít the same as the previous PSA engines.
Changed the engine coolant sensor this evening, took it for a run and returned 70.5mpg and I was not even trying as a I normaly do, throttle very much more sensitive, more power but engine coolant operating temp too low, will change the thermostat when obtained. By consensus it would appear the thermostat should start to operate at 87C, the operating temp observed live was less.

Tags
bmw ceo, brake discs, complaints, thorne, tracking