totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Cracked Windscreen - Common Fault?
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Conkertron 88 is on a distinguished road

Icon9 Cracked Windscreen - Common Fault? - 12th July 2013, 08:33 PM

Hello, I'm new to the totalmini forum, and I have joined as I am now a proud owner of a brand new Mini Cooper Clubman! I've only owned it now for 3 weeks and it has been great! But enough of my "jibba-jabba," lets cut down to the chase!

On Tuesday (9th June 2013) whist washing the car in the morning, I noticed a crack, just to the right of the rain/light sensor unit, going horizontally down perfectly straight, then through a smooth 90 degree bend over to the left (heading towards the drivers side).

I took my car to Benham Mini Wolverhampton to get it looked at straight away, as there was no sign of impact on the glass, suggesting it's most likely to be a stress crack. I've had a look around the forum and seen a couple of similar threads, but felt this might be the best location for it?

Anyway, the rep at Mini had a look and was baffled, and his manager said get the BMW dealership to take a look. So he drove my car to BWM and they said it was chipped, and basically fobbed me off to say it's not a warranty repair. Now this left me feeling angry (as you could imagine, mainly because I can't believe that the manager at Mini couldn't rely on his own technicians opinions - but thats for another day!).

I've attached a few links to photos of the crack, which has spread over the last few days whilst waiting for Autoglass to come on tuesday for their opinion and possibly a replacement.

In the close-up photo, you'll see a slither of glass missing about 1 inch down from the top seal. BMW insists that this is a chip, but I think it's up for debate as it doesn't have the characteristics of a 'chip' or 'impact damage.' BMW did the 'ballpoint pen test' and where sticking by the 'results' from this 'test.'

What are your opinions? Is this a common fault location? I'd love back up from your guys so I can take this to Benham as back-up to support my case to get a genuine replacement and not invalidate the 'water damage caused by windscreen' part of the warranty by Autoglass fitting their equivalent type of glass.

Even if means I can get them to fit a 'Mini Approved' windscreen after the autoglass one has been fitted, and get my excess refunded.

Your help would be greatly appreciated! Below is a link to a gallery of photos of the cracked windscreen:

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A4JtdOXmkL0b7

Kindest regards!

p.s. if you'd like to see the green mean machine you can here:

https://www.icloud.com/photostream/#A45oqs3qGUAJr2

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAddict
zirconmr2 is on a distinguished road

Default 12th July 2013, 09:35 PM

i have a few very small stone chips in my windscreen and they dont look like that, more circular. that looks more like it has come out because of the crack, not cracked because of that.
ps. im no expert on windscreens, just an opinion.

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalAddict
markyzs180 is on a distinguished road

Default 12th July 2013, 10:03 PM

the intial crack looks too 'perfect' in my opinion and I reckon it would have been there from the day the robot put it in at the plant and will have only shown itself as the body flex's in normal use but will be very difficult to prove. Why not get Autoglass to remove and replace on site at the dealers? tape the roof at the exact point where the crack goes under the rubber trim and make sure this area is cleaned of all sealant then check the aperture for any high spots that may have caused it to crack as it was bedded into place. good luck, nice clubbie and welcome to the world of mini 'aftersales' care !!!!!!

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
Never too old for fun!
davyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to all

Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,425 Posts

Default 12th July 2013, 10:34 PM

Agree with the other guys, looks too straight for a stone chip!

Great idea by Mark about getting it done at the dealers and take your camera...

Hopefully it all comes good for you

Nice looking Clubbie BTW

"Life's too short not to!!"

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalAddict
Falmouthboy is on a distinguished road

Default Cracked Windscreen - Common Fault? - 23rd November 2013, 07:37 AM

Very difficult to prove either way to be honest, because it is true that theses screens are very prone to crack with even the slightest stone impact in the stress areas, particularly the black rim which expands and contracts with heat and cold.

That said, think sale of goods act here. You have had the car only 3 weeks, therefore it is for the dealer to prove that it wasn't a fault, not for you to prove that it was. You need to remind them of that.

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
The wife thinks its hers!
Goonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to behold

Default 23rd November 2013, 08:52 AM

This was back in July .... I would imagine the OP has now resolved this somehow!

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalAddict
Falmouthboy is on a distinguished road

Default Cracked Windscreen - Common Fault? - 23rd November 2013, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonerij View Post
This was back in July .... I would imagine the OP has now resolved this somehow!
Missed that!

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
totalAddict
markyzs180 is on a distinguished road

Default 24th November 2013, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goonerij View Post
would've been nice for the OP to update tho.....

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
Never too old for fun!
davyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to all

Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,425 Posts

Default 24th November 2013, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markyzs180 View Post
would've been nice for the OP to update tho.....
Totally agree Mark ........

"Life's too short not to!!"

The Following User Says Thank You to davyboy For This Useful Post:
markyzs180 (24th November 2013)
Old
  (#10 (permalink))
The wife thinks its hers!
Goonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to beholdGoonerij is a splendid one to behold

Default 24th November 2013, 08:21 PM

Posts twice and vanishes .... maybe the OP didn't like it here

Tags
clubman, common, cracked, warranty, windscreen