View Single Post
Ollie's MINI history and current DS/W R53
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
mister.t is on a distinguished road

Default Ollie's MINI history and current DS/W R53 - 3rd May 2016, 07:44 AM

Afternoon all

Been a little while since I've visited tM, thought I'd introduce my current MINI to you all, as well as some of my MINIs from times gone by for those that don't know me.

I've been around MINI from day one, we've had them in the family since they were released, and I've been a member of MINI clubs since 2006. I've owned 4 since 2010, though I think I've finally settled on the one I'm going to keep forever

My first MINI was a 2001 Cooper in PS/B. I loved this car, I'd been wanting a MINI for 9 years straight, and this was finally my own MINI that I could go and do what I wanted with. I kept it for nearly 2 years, it hardly put a foot wrong in that time despite the way it was driven. The only real issue it had was I knackered the gearbox after a day at MITP Santa Pod in 2010. Other than that, 30k fault free and seriously fun miles were had.

Only thing I really did to it was add the S Bumpers, still probably my favourite looking MINI I've had. Really regret selling this one, but the guy that bought it from me works at the MINI factory and has promised first refusal on it when he comes to sell it, can't wait to get it back.

I sold my R50 to buy my first Cooper S, an early R56 with my perfect spec purchased from MINI Park Lane in December 2011. To say this particular R56 was a shower of **** would be putting it too politely! It looked and sounded amazing, and the spec was literally perfect (those that know me know how picky I am with MINI spec'ing!), but I never really gelled with it, and ended up rejecting it 3 months later due to endless issues. I did add an fJCW exhaust to it, but as good as it sounded when I was in the mood to hoon, it was way too loud for me!

I then had a break from MINI for a year or two, I wanted to buy an R53 but ended up buying a Land Rover Discovery (I like my LRs as much as I do my MINIs) as something a little different. There were a few other cars in the interim, but I ended up drunk bidding on a 2002 MINI One that needed a new gearbox on eBay. I won it, and instead of selling it on straight away, I sold my daily driver (a 2012 Fiesta Metal) and used the proceeds to buy a house, and kept the MINI as a daily driver. I didn't do too much to it, I changed the nasty 8 spoke wheels and put some Imolas on, bluefin'd it and that was about it. I didn't intend to keep it for all that long, because I really wanted an R53.

Thatís where my current R53 comes in. Itís an August 2002 build with a handful of factory options;
Chili Pack
Full Black Gravity Leather
Climate Control
Panoramic sunroof
CD BOOST
SS+

I'm not normally a fan of Dark Silver, but I think it looks great with the white roof. Good enough for MINI to use in their press images at the time at the very least

This was what it looked like when I purchased it;

New exhaust; (non-res Milletek with standard manifold, sounds superb)

A random family MINI picture (sister's One Pimlico on the left, the folks Countryman SD All4 in the middle);

A trip to the Ring with a friend;

A morning at 1320;

Bedford trackday;

Finally got my new wheels and tyres fitted this weekend, hated the S Spokes and always loved the X Lites. Has transfordmed the way it drives, I can now feel what the front end is doing! Went for a non standard size, instead of 195/55 I went for 205/50. Bridgestone Potenza Adrenalin 002s. And they're staying white

Current MINI: None! 2017 Toyota GT86
Past MINIs: 2001 Cooper (PS/B) | 2007 S (CR/B) | 2002 One (CB) | 2002 S - DS/W

The Following User Says Thank You to mister.t For This Useful Post:
Sportspack Mark (5th May 2016)