totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
One ball exhaust mod
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Hirthy is on a distinguished road

Default One ball exhaust mod - 28th August 2016, 12:17 PM

Ok I'm posting this because although there are a few threads on mini forums about this mod, however there aren't many specifics!

I'll start with explaining what the mod is; basically you cut up the driver side silencer box ad weld in a new bend straight to the left box.

Pros of the mod:
- Extra horsepower I would expect about 3-5 bhp increase not much but it may help!
- Nicer sound this is obviously subjective, but I find it gives you a deeper note and a few more pops and bangs, however it's still very discreet and will not wake up your neighbors.
- "Weight reduction yo" not surprisingly the heaviest part of the catback exhaust is the two back boxes so cutting one of these out saves a lot of weight off the exhaust system.
- A rusty part is removed because the exhaust has two layers of metal and it is heated and then cools off it picks up condensation on the inner layer causing it to rust out.
- Very cheap cost me 15 to buy the 90 degree bend the you just need some welding skills, but this is also cheap to get it done I was quoted 90 which is quite cheap as a JCW exhaust is 350 unfitted.

Negatives of the mod:
- I haven't found any negatives yet other than you need to be quite good at welding if you do it yourself.

Pointers of how to do the mod:
- The pipe from the engine is 2.25" and the pipe from the right box is 2.5" you may want to use an adapter
- The pipe from the exhaust is lower than that out of the box so you need spare straight 2.25" pipe as most people will know it needs to be a gradual increase.

Anyone add or tell me how I can improve this?

Last edited by Hirthy; 29th August 2016 at 11:38 AM.

One ball exhaust mod
Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAddict
KarlW11R50 is on a distinguished road

Default One ball exhaust mod - 28th August 2016, 01:10 PM

There is no way that removing a single back box os going to save you 60kg! That's as much as I weigh!

Best way to improve it is to throw it all away and buy a full stainless system. I used to run an R50 Cooper PlayMini stainless steel cat back on my S. Sounded great, not heavy, cheap enough, and well built. I miss the sound actually - that combined with the Janspeed manifold was lush. I had it on my Park Lane for a while, but I've taken it off as am selling the car Obviously I'm not going to fit it to my GP, but I've put it aside for my track car build, even if I only use the centre section in the end.

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
Chris R53 is Online
Addicted To Whine
Chris R53 is on a distinguished road

Default 28th August 2016, 09:37 PM

I stopped reading at 60kg

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalAddict
rich918 is on a distinguished road

Default 29th August 2016, 08:48 AM

if you take one back box off and it weighs 60k the car will stand lob sided lol , think he meant 6 k

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 29th August 2016, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich918 View Post
if you take one back box off and it weighs 60k the car will stand lob sided lol , think he meant 6 k
That's my bad on the typo and massive mistake I didn't weigh the box because I simply couldn't be bothered! Looking back I should probably read through what I write....

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 29th August 2016, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlW11R50 View Post
There is no way that removing a single back box os going to save you 60kg! That's as much as I weigh!

Best way to improve it is to throw it all away and buy a full stainless system. I used to run an R50 Cooper PlayMini stainless steel cat back on my S. Sounded great, not heavy, cheap enough, and well built. I miss the sound actually - that combined with the Janspeed manifold was lush. I had it on my Park Lane for a while, but I've taken it off as am selling the car Obviously I'm not going to fit it to my GP, but I've put it aside for my track car build, even if I only use the centre section in the end.
I wanted to try out this mod first as it is borderline free! My thinking, and I might be joined by some others is, that if I didn't like the mod I could then just upgrade to a new system.

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 29th August 2016, 08:29 PM

[IMG][/IMG]

Here is a picture of what it looks like afterwards if anyone is interested.

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
totalAddict
rich918 is on a distinguished road

Default 30th August 2016, 09:28 PM

hell you've got shot of a lot of exhaust look good to me what does it sound like

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 31st August 2016, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich918 View Post
hell you've got shot of a lot of exhaust look good to me what does it sound like
To me it sounds awesome a much deeper note and you get more pops and bangs but these aren't stupidly loud. It is exactly what I wanted and looked for. In idle you wont really be able to tell the difference but when you rev that's when it has a bit more bass.

Tags
diy, exhaust, r53 cooper s, tips