totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Old
  (#11 (permalink))
1st Mini
7head is on a distinguished road

Default 25th November 2017, 02:08 PM

Yes I read through the plastic plating process... I have removed all my chrome parts and replaced them, the side scuttles on our countryman were slightly peeling and it looked like a very thin layer of paint and totally plastic and cheap looking once in the hand. It certainly didn’t appear to be chrome plated. There are plenty of chrome ”look” spray paints out there but I had no idea they were actually chrome plated..... I don’t know what I thought really!

The chrome belt line was also peeling so that has gone black also now...... not sure the chrome plated plastic parts have very good longevity and I’m glad mine are gone. The op’s side grilles certainly look in poor state for a not very old vehicle.

R60 Cooper S auto, Pure red, chilli, media and light packs. Harman Kardon. Lots of mods to come.....

Old
  (#12 (permalink))
Twin FUN Convertibles
Melvyn is on a distinguished road

Default 25th November 2017, 04:05 PM

Well, I can't explain why all of your chrome was peeling off. Perhaps because you don't like it.

Surely if all the chrome peeled off like you say, there would be thousands of angry customers, and almost every modern car on the road would have peeling chrome; because they all no doubt use the same process.

Chrome plated plastic is everywhere in society now, and it doesn't just peel off! I very much doubt that BMW would use an inferior process on their cars when proper chrome plating is so commonplace, even on cheap household items like badges and keyrings.

Extensive mods to my Hyper Blue Cooper S Convertible:
Magic Tree air freshener; Road map moved from back of driver's seat to glove box; FUN plates; SmartTOP roof control; Chrome mirrors; Chrome bonnet scoop; Chrome boot handle and hinges; Chrome spotlights; Chrome air vents; Chrome door buttons; Chrome number plate surrounds; Chrome instruments and switches; Chrome gear knob and handbrake grip; Chrome pen in glove box; Chrome dust caps on front wheels (not sure about the back wheels - don't want to overdo it)
to dechroming. Keep it Chrome and Classy

Old
  (#13 (permalink))
1st Mini
7head is on a distinguished road

Default 26th November 2017, 08:42 AM

It wasn’t all of it, just a few items... I still have them in the workshop I should sell the parts that are ok as they won’t ever go back on.

If you compare the door handles to any of the other so called chrome parts on the CM there is a huge difference in finish and overall quality..... of course I have gloss black handle caps to cover the horrible chrome handles though

There is no doubt the pictures in this thread do not bode well for the longevity of the chromed plastic..... I appreciate we are poles apart with our opinions of the chrome itself so much depends on the colour of the car, I admit some colours suit chrome well........ but there is nothing “classy” about plastic chrome.

R60 Cooper S auto, Pure red, chilli, media and light packs. Harman Kardon. Lots of mods to come.....

Old
  (#14 (permalink))
Twin FUN Convertibles
Melvyn is on a distinguished road

Default 27th November 2017, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7head View Post
but there is nothing “classy” about plastic chrome.
Well even "bad" chrome is classier than paint.

Extensive mods to my Hyper Blue Cooper S Convertible:
Magic Tree air freshener; Road map moved from back of driver's seat to glove box; FUN plates; SmartTOP roof control; Chrome mirrors; Chrome bonnet scoop; Chrome boot handle and hinges; Chrome spotlights; Chrome air vents; Chrome door buttons; Chrome number plate surrounds; Chrome instruments and switches; Chrome gear knob and handbrake grip; Chrome pen in glove box; Chrome dust caps on front wheels (not sure about the back wheels - don't want to overdo it)
to dechroming. Keep it Chrome and Classy