Old
  (#7 (permalink))
Old Skool
humph is on a distinguished road

Default 30th July 2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finman View Post
Hopefully a great purchase.

I would change all the fluids oil, anti-freeze (should be done every four years!) and brake fluid (should be changed every two years!!).

Would recommend having the serpentine belt changed, but if going for an upgrade with a smaller supercharger pulley get it done at the same time.

Gearbox and supercharger are supposed to be sealed for life! Gearbox oil change is relatively simple to do, two plugs one to drain and one fill (always undo the fill one first - to know you can get the oil back in). Supercharger oil change is a bit more involved. See if you can see the Wheeler Dealer episode were they did a Cooper S quite interesting.
I agree with all of the above, get all the fluids & belts changed. All relatively cheap, especially if you can do it yourself.

I'd be carefully inspecting the tyres. If the car has been stood all that time I'd suggest they won;t be round, will have cracked walls, & may well be out of date.

https://www.michelin.in/IN/en/help-a...new-tyres.html

Check for oil leaks, is the engine covered in oil? Tere seams to be two common oil leak locations; the crankshaft seal (behind the pulley), and the crank sensor on the front of the engine (99p part, expensive labour, diy job but a bit of messing)