totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > totalTalk > totalNewcomer
Reload this Page Mini Cooper Hatch 2014- A little help with my order please

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#11 (permalink))
totalMember
CityLights is on a distinguished road

Default 22nd January 2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
Oh no. Don't add the chrome pack.

Sorry but it looks terrible!!
Its only a tiny bit of chrome on the front and the boot, I wouldn't have if it added loads

Mini Cooper Hatch 2014- A little help with my order please
Old
  (#12 (permalink))
totalMember
Dooper1 is on a distinguished road

Default Mini Cooper Hatch 2014- A little help with my order please - 22nd January 2014, 01:32 PM

Just out of curiosity what's group fuel?
As per your description I would probably keep the run flats as it's not fun trying to change a wheel in a street never mind motorway when it's hammering down with rain.
As said above loose the a-glaze (is that the new supa guard?) and metal mate unless it's getting thrown in. Then save a bit of money and get a proper detail and sealant with Gtech if your not a big detailer

Old
  (#13 (permalink))
totalAddict
Angib is on a distinguished road

Default 22nd January 2014, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityLights View Post
...i'd rather not be stranded in the early hours of the morning, since i'm usually driving at either 2/3/4am. So just for the safety really.
I think the run-flat 'safety' idea only really exists because run-flats came along.

The runflat will let you drive on a flat tyre at up to 50mph. If you are very lucky, the tyre pressure monitoring system will tell you you have a flat tyre in good time (you probably won't notice otherwise) and you will then decide to drive slowly enough that you don't damage it so it cannot be repaired - though it may still not be repairable.

The difference with non-runflats is that you may notice a flat tyre and, if you choose to drive on slowly, either home or to the front of a police station to change it, you will probably do enough damage to prevent the tyre being repaired - though that will cost half the price of replacing the runflat that can't be repaired.

To my mind, runflats are dealing with a fear (a feeling), not a risk (a physical reality). How come people buy cars that can run out of fuel on a wet windy night? Or even ones that can break down? Heck, I even know people who drive cars that the doors don't automatically lock. What sort of death wish have they got?

Old
  (#14 (permalink))
totalMember
CityLights is on a distinguished road

Default 22nd January 2014, 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooper1 View Post
Just out of curiosity what's group fuel?
As per your description I would probably keep the run flats as it's not fun trying to change a wheel in a street never mind motorway when it's hammering down with rain.
As said above loose the a-glaze (is that the new supa guard?) and metal mate unless it's getting thrown in. Then save a bit of money and get a proper detail and sealant with Gtech if your not a big detailer
I wouldn't even have a clue how to change a tyre! The group fuel is for them to fill it with a tank of petrol before they give it to you.. a little cheeky I thought! On my last new car it was free and I got a bunch of flowers!

Old
  (#15 (permalink))
totalAddict
Derfinn is on a distinguished road

Default 22nd January 2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angib View Post
I think the run-flat 'safety' idea only really exists because run-flats came along.

The runflat will let you drive on a flat tyre at up to 50mph. If you are very lucky, the tyre pressure monitoring system will tell you you have a flat tyre in good time (you probably won't notice otherwise) and you will then decide to drive slowly enough that you don't damage it so it cannot be repaired - though it may still not be repairable.

The difference with non-runflats is that you may notice a flat tyre and, if you choose to drive on slowly, either home or to the front of a police station to change it, you will probably do enough damage to prevent the tyre being repaired - though that will cost half the price of replacing the runflat that can't be repaired.

To my mind, runflats are dealing with a fear (a feeling), not a risk (a physical reality). How come people buy cars that can run out of fuel on a wet windy night? Or even ones that can break down? Heck, I even know people who drive cars that the doors don't automatically lock. What sort of death wish have they got?
I understand your point, but given my last experience with non-runflat tyres, I'll go for runflats everytime!

My 2004 R50 Cooper suffered a puncture, and would not inflate with the pump, and when I tried the foam discovered a hole in the tyre wall. I had to call emergency services, and had to wait for a few days for a tyre to be ordered. These were standard 15s and only the MINI had them, so weren't a popular tyre size at the time.

Recently, I suffered a puncture in my Countryman, on Christmas Eve, I monitored and inflated the tyre everyday, and still managed to drive a few hundred km before it could be repaired. Repair guy said that there is many kms left in the tyre.

I don't have the best luck when it comes to tyres. (I always got punctures on the day before so many MINI runs, it was a recurring joke!)

Old
  (#16 (permalink))
totalAddict
at6077 is on a distinguished road

Default 12th March 2014, 04:52 PM

Personally would not bother with runflats, as other said they destroy the ride.

Old
  (#17 (permalink))
totalAddict
tony is on a distinguished road

G21 6th April 2014, 06:08 PM

hello

Old
  (#18 (permalink))
totalAddict
tony is on a distinguished road

G21 6th April 2014, 06:08 PM

hello