totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
R50 JC tuning kit question
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
Irlmin
Irlmin is on a distinguished road

Ireland R50 JC tuning kit question - 8th January 2017, 07:55 PM

I own a very early 'Y' reg high spec Cooper which is in storage since 2010 and have had a plan to at some stage get it on the road with a few period mods . I have got my hands on a John Cooper Tuning kit with the modified head, Pipercross 'Works' cone air filter,' works' badges silver injector cover , 'Works' badging on rocker cover , mapped ECU etc etc BUT its missing the Exhaust , I am talking about the very 1st of these conversions before BMW insisted JC change the filter and rear exhaust for something more friendly . can anyone remember the rear exhaust box used ? I know it was stainless with a 'slash' cut on some and was just a replacement rear box not the full system that came later . does anyone know who manufactured these ? Its the last piece of the jigsaw to get the kit on the Cooper . I remember back in the day doing some miles in JC Garages demo and it left a lasting memory , any help with My quest would be appreciated .
G

R50 JC tuning kit question
Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAddict
KarlW11R50 is on a distinguished road

Default R50 JC tuning kit question - 8th January 2017, 08:27 PM

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
Irlmin

Ireland 14th January 2017, 09:28 AM

I have not yet found the original manufacturer for these exhausts , next on the list is have the head reconditioned , valves refaced and seats cut , a very light skim and some ultrasonic cleaning should make it as good as new .
G

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
Total Moderator
Sportspack Mark is a name known to allSportspack Mark is a name known to allSportspack Mark is a name known to allSportspack Mark is a name known to allSportspack Mark is a name known to allSportspack Mark is a name known to all

Default 14th January 2017, 10:53 PM

Ger, may be worth contacting Tony Franks, the ex head John Cooper mechanic?

MINI Motorsport Centre

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
Irlmin

Default 18th January 2017, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportspack Mark View Post
Ger, may be worth contacting Tony Franks, the ex head John Cooper mechanic?

MINI Motorsport Centre
Tried phoning them several times , no answer , guess very busy , will try e-mail .
G

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
Irlmin

Ireland 11th March 2017, 09:28 AM

Still looking for info on this . I am looking for manufacturer of the very early stainless rear exhaust box supplied with the Works kit for the R50 , the one with the 'cone' airfilter . this is before BMW had JC Garages change to the std airbox with panel filter . have everything else in the kit inc head , airfilter , ECU , all badging inc the rare scuttle badges . any info would be appreciated . want to fit to my 'Y' reg MINI .

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
Irlmin

Ireland 30th March 2017, 06:24 PM

I have a dilemma , My 65 Cooper S needs restoration , My 68 Cooper needs a light restoration , My 93 Rover mini Cabriolet with JC garages Si conversion needs work and I have no time to sort these so I am considering selling My 'Y" reg MINI and JC 'Works' tuning kit either together or separately . tuning kit is the earlier one with modified head .etc now the problem do I sell 'Y' reg car as is and kit complete or do I fit kit and sell then . plan is to get started on 68 998 Cooper as only needs a decent paint job so will be quick to do followed by one of the others . MINI fun is taken care of by F56 with JCW pro kit and we also have 05 R50 and MINI Cooper Roadster so no worries there .
G

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
Total Moderator
Sportspack Mark is a name known to allSportspack Mark is a name known to allSportspack Mark is a name known to allSportspack Mark is a name known to allSportspack Mark is a name known to allSportspack Mark is a name known to all

Default 30th March 2017, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irlmin View Post
I have a dilemma , My 65 Cooper S needs restoration , My 68 Cooper needs a light restoration , My 93 Rover mini Cabriolet with JC garages Si conversion needs work and I have no time to sort these so I am considering selling My 'Y" reg MINI and JC 'Works' tuning kit either together or separately . tuning kit is the earlier one with modified head .etc now the problem do I sell 'Y' reg car as is and kit complete or do I fit kit and sell then . plan is to get started on 68 998 Cooper as only needs a decent paint job so will be quick to do followed by one of the others . MINI fun is taken care of by F56 with JCW pro kit and we also have 05 R50 and MINI Cooper Roadster so no worries there .
G
Ger, if you're thinking of selling let me know would you please! Many thanks

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
Irlmin

Ireland 1st April 2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportspack Mark View Post
Ger, if you're thinking of selling let me know would you please! Many thanks
Will do Mark .
Interesting thing is Your dealership fitted the JC kit to the car I retrieved it from . will give you the kit / car reg number and dates to have a look at records .

The Following User Says Thank You to Irlmin For This Useful Post:
Sportspack Mark (3rd April 2017)
Old
  (#10 (permalink))
Total Moderator

Default 3rd April 2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irlmin View Post
Will do Mark .
Interesting thing is Your dealership fitted the JC kit to the car I retrieved it from . will give you the kit / car reg number and dates to have a look at records .
Thats great Ger

Thanks