totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > totalTalk > totalDiscussion
Reload this Page Should I try again with MINI (Heart says yes, mind says..........maybe)

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Should I try again with MINI (Heart says yes, mind says..........maybe)
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
MArmstrong is on a distinguished road

South Africa Should I try again with MINI (Heart says yes, mind says..........maybe) - 26th April 2016, 09:59 AM

Hi guys and gals,

I may seem silly here but I really need some assistance with this.

I am a fresh Chicken (26 Years old, what im saying is I dont have dependants ) sold my 2009 FJCW Hatch 2 years ago as was having issues with the engine, had to replace the engine out of warranty which hurt. To be quite honest have been hesitating to consider driving another mini due to this issue.

As you know once a mini driver you actually never want to drive anything else, I have had a Alfa Giulietta 1750 QV for the 2 years since and been missing the mini everyday, still dream about her...

Ok so now to the question I wanted to ask:
I have an opportunity to buy a 2012-2103 Coupe JCW and was wondering if the engine issues(decoking, Oil build up) have been rectified, as rumour has it the engines received a make over sometime early 2013? Also if I will have any issues with the model itself. Im not to worried about lack of space as its only really my girlfriend, my golf clubs and me who will ever be in the car. I am just nervous to go ahead and have the same issues as before.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. I really want to be back in a Mini, everyone I know is saying no but lets be honest, if you havent driven the JCW you will never really know

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAddict
keano is on a distinguished road

Default 26th April 2016, 03:12 PM

Funny how with time you start to almost forget previous issues and fancy giving it another go... I am in a similar position and am considering a fJCW for the mrs (as well as a few other options) but my previous experiences with the R56 have me hesitating too... did fancy going for the F56 but sadly the budget is beyond me...

I did start a thread a while ago to try to determine the same as you - ie list the common faults and try to ascertain what the fixes are but it never really took off... so I presume a proper fix was never actually established - I assume building in a walnut shell style decoke as part of your maintenance regime may be a good start

Or to put it another way - I dont know but I too would be interested to hear what the fixes are

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
VXRRy
Ryanjdover is on a distinguished road

Default Should I try again with MINI (Heart says yes, mind says..........maybe) - 26th April 2016, 04:22 PM

If you miss it buy another. Just try and get a N18 engined one. Fewer issues

Sent from my iPhone you Android Scumbags!!!

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
I feel the need..........
Scrounger is on a distinguished road

Default Should I try again with MINI (Heart says yes, mind says..........maybe) - 27th April 2016, 05:29 AM

I had 2 N18 engines MINIs and R56 S and an R56 JCW. Cracking engine and as far as I'm aware there are no known coking issues with the N18 engine. However, it's a simple fix by having the inlet manifold walnut blasted for about 250 at your local dealer. This will remove anything that's there. Also give it a good Italian tune up every month or so to clean the crap out of it.

Iirc they changed the way the PCV was routed in the N18 engine so the oil vapour wasn't recirculating through the inlet valves which is what causes the issue. It's not just a mini thing either, it affects all direct injection engines whether it be a skoda or an Audi.

If you buy an N18 engined car and it drives ok, no loss of power or hesitation. No flat spots or blue smoke out the back, you should be ok. Check the exhaust tips as well. If there is no build up of hard carbon you should be fine. If it's growing like the plague don't bother. You should be able to wipe the exhaust tips clean with a rag.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scrounger For This Useful Post:
keano (15th May 2016)
Thanks for the tips guys
Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalBeginner
MArmstrong is on a distinguished road

Default Thanks for the tips guys - 6th May 2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanjdover View Post
If you miss it buy another. Just try and get a N18 engined one. Fewer issues

Sent from my iPhone you Android Scumbags!!!
How is the JCW countryman treating you, I also have in my scope a Paceman JCW and this may be a better option for me.

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
VXRRy
Ryanjdover is on a distinguished road

Default Should I try again with MINI (Heart says yes, mind says..........maybe) - 7th May 2016, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MArmstrong View Post
How is the JCW countryman treating you, I also have in my scope a Paceman JCW and this may be a better option for me.

I don't get a lot of time in it but the wife loves it. She's liking the power too.

All round it's a great fun family car.

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalAddict
keano is on a distinguished road

Default Should I try again with MINI (Heart says yes, mind says..........maybe) - 15th May 2016, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrounger View Post
I had 2 N18 engines MINIs and R56 S and an R56 JCW. Cracking engine and as far as I'm aware there are no known coking issues with the N18 engine. However, it's a simple fix by having the inlet manifold walnut blasted for about 250 at your local dealer. This will remove anything that's there. Also give it a good Italian tune up every month or so to clean the crap out of it.

Iirc they changed the way the PCV was routed in the N18 engine so the oil vapour wasn't recirculating through the inlet valves which is what causes the issue. It's not just a mini thing either, it affects all direct injection engines whether it be a skoda or an Audi.

If you buy an N18 engined car and it drives ok, no loss of power or hesitation. No flat spots or blue smoke out the back, you should be ok. Check the exhaust tips as well. If there is no build up of hard carbon you should be fine. If it's growing like the plague don't bother. You should be able to wipe the exhaust tips clean with a rag.

So less coking with the n18? Promising start... Any hpfp problems? Did they sort the timing chain too?

If they've sorted the n14 common faults so reliability was improved they are worth a shot - I enjoyed my n14 even with stock power so having confidence to tune thanks to improved reliability means an r56 could be a hoot!

N18 that much of an improvement to be worth it?

I presume the gp2 has the n18?

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
I feel the need..........
Scrounger is on a distinguished road

Default Should I try again with MINI (Heart says yes, mind says..........maybe) - 16th May 2016, 06:58 AM

Vast improvement with N18. Not heard of any HPFP issues and no issues with the TCT.

Gp2 has an upgraded version of the N18 engine to produce more power.

The Following User Says Thank You to Scrounger For This Useful Post:
keano (16th May 2016)
Old
  (#9 (permalink))
totalAddict
KarlW11R50 is on a distinguished road

Default Should I try again with MINI (Heart says yes, mind says..........maybe) - 16th May 2016, 04:18 PM

The GP2 engine is the fully forged affair from the fJCW, but with tweaked software. Its only, what, 7bhp over an fJCW? The car drives like a 'tuned' car right out of the box. Quite nice. If I had the money I would consider an N18 fJCW for a daily. I think the "problems" associated with them are less of an issue if you know what to look out for and you are prepared to take the precautionary measures to protect against any serious issues in the future.

Old
  (#10 (permalink))
MinIan has disabled reputation

Default Should I try again with MINI (Heart says yes, mind says..........maybe) - 16th May 2016, 05:40 PM

Is it not only the pistons that are forged ?

Tags
coupe, decoking, fjcw, oil buildup