totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > totalTalk > totalDiscussion
Reload this Page Owners of Diesel Minis... Sigh of relief today - Autumn Budget

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Owners of Diesel Minis... Sigh of relief today - Autumn Budget
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalAddict
wlondoner is on a distinguished road

Default Owners of Diesel Minis... Sigh of relief today - Autumn Budget - 22nd November 2017, 07:50 PM

So the good news for current diesel owners is tax won't go up if they currently own a diesel

My friend was nearly in tears thinking they had to pay more for there sporty Mini SD for a few hours until I told them they made a mistake

However media outlets got confused and saying current owners had to pay more for a few hours! Which led to mass confusion Online and I bet people who read arctiles before they were amended where confused lol

It's only for brand new cars produced next year and that's only if they don't meet standards (obviously many already do)
So unless your going to get a really sporty expensive diesel next year new it's unlikely to be much more tax on it.

I am telling people to read the RAC site news or Autocar rather than the express or the mail (and others) who got well confused earlier today!

I'm surprised media outlets don't get facts right before writing! I guess a scary story gets readers even if it's not all true?

I'm all for cleaner cars and in time I will be getting a electric mini a few years after it comes out I'm sure.. But the government needs to allow a good few
years before they expect everyone to move over.

I do hope nobody has sold there diesel mini today at a silly price...

Now:F56 MINI Dooper MidnightBlack (Chili, Full White leather, Connected XL Nav, adaptive dampers, heated seats, HUD, Harmon Kardon speakers, black alloys)
Before:F56 MINI Dooper IcedChoc (Chili,VisualBoost,Leather)
Before: R56 MINI Cooper Lightning Blue (Chili,half leather)
Before :R50 MINI One Moonlight Black (Pepper)
+ 2 Audi TT MK2s in between.

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road

Default 22nd November 2017, 10:44 PM

I was expecting a double whammy with an increase in road tax for all existing diesel cars as well as an increase in fuel duty but glad to read it hasnít materialised. Saying that most new diesels registered from 1 April will be exposed to the new increased road tax with the new stringent CO2 standards. As with many other people we were attracted to diesel for the lower CO2 and running costs and we have owned several diesels over the last 14 years and we depend on them more with our high mileage useage as we cover 20k miles a year. Like you we will be moving to electric in the hope the MINI brand will provide improved battery technology in the future which can cover the same mileage as the Tesla models, I find it disappointing the current Countryman SE Hybrid only covers 24 miles on a single charge.

Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 22nd November 2017, 11:06 PM

I can't see the tax rises putting too many off as it will only be for some cars that don't meet the current standard - I don't think there's many or any in the top 15 cars being sold in the UK at the moment?

Even if you purchased a really expensive top of the range sporty big engined diesel next year the rise would be £500. If someone has that much money that won't put them off and probably another reason to barter with the dealer lol

So annoyed with all the scare mongering from the papers before today!

The F series MINI diesels (Euro 6 of course) are amazing!

Now:F56 MINI Dooper MidnightBlack (Chili, Full White leather, Connected XL Nav, adaptive dampers, heated seats, HUD, Harmon Kardon speakers, black alloys)

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road

Default 22nd November 2017, 11:33 PM

I totally agree on the scaremongering front which has impacted the screen price of MINI diesels which has taken a big hit. I have 18 months to go before the finance ends on my old shape 2016 Countryman and dealers are offering very poor trade in values on similar aged models using the excuse itís not attractive being a diesel when in fact itís a Euro 6 model. I too find the latest diesel engines brilliant and recently did a 500 miles round trip in the Countryman on a single tank and the ALL4 grip was amazing through the Ďmonsooní type of rain. With our second MINI being a Roadster SD, my wife doesnít want to depart with it, especially, that it meets the higher Euro standards and that will be here to stay.

Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 22nd November 2017, 11:55 PM

I'm sure once more people understand what was said in the budget today prices will level up again
It's a bad time of year to sell a car anyway!

I noticed ITV news didn't explain it very well just now too...

The key thing... if you've already got a diesel car, you won't pay more that's the sentence they needed to add!

For anyone still confused BBC link below is nice and clear well done BBC
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-42079297