totalMINI
Home Forum FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > totalTalk > totalDiscussion
Reload this Page 2003 Mini Cooper S parked up for nearly 5 years- Help Please :)

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
2003 Mini Cooper S parked up for nearly 5 years- Help Please :)
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Mini-Gal is on a distinguished road

Icon3 2003 Mini Cooper S parked up for nearly 5 years- Help Please :) - 28th July 2018, 11:55 PM

Hi everyone
I have just bought myself a Mini Cooper S 2003 (53) Itís been stood for 4-5 years.
Its only done 72.000 miles. I am hoping to get it back on the road ASAP but I am just wondering what everyone would recommend checking? I am going to give it a full service, tyres and a battery and check the brakes. With it been the Cooper S is there anything anyone would recommend checking as it has been stood a long time
Whatís really sad is there is no reason for it been stood for all these years, it was parked up one day and not moved for four years.
This is my first Cooper S, super excited to get her on the road! =D
Thank you
Jennie

2003 Mini Cooper S parked up for nearly 5 years- Help Please 😊
Old
  (#2 (permalink))
Mabel 1
Sair32 is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Mini Cooper S parked up for nearly 5 years- Help Please 😊 - 29th July 2018, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-Gal View Post
Hi everyone

I have just bought myself a Mini Cooper S 2003 (53) Itís been stood for 4-5 years.

Its only done 72.000 miles. I am hoping to get it back on the road ASAP but I am just wondering what everyone would recommend checking? I am going to give it a full service, tyres and a battery and check the brakes. With it been the Cooper S is there anything anyone would recommend checking as it has been stood a long time

Whatís really sad is there is no reason for it been stood for all these years, it was parked up one day and not moved for four years.

This is my first Cooper S, super excited to get her on the road! =D

Thank you

Jennie

Huge congratulations! You are really going to love it. Iíve had mine for nearly 2 years 😊 whatís the history on it ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalBeginner
knt is on a distinguished road

Default 29th July 2018, 11:55 AM

Check the engine and supercharger.

If you know a good local mechanic get them to give the car a good once over.

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Mini-Gal is on a distinguished road

Default 29th July 2018, 12:12 PM

The history has been lost, it seems to run all ok taken it for a quick drive. Its currently waiting for the MOT and the service to be carried out.

Just trying to find if anyone would recommend any bits they would replace? e.g any belts?

My next questions are going to be how to get more power out of it. This is being purchased as a 3rd car, just something to drive every now and then.

Thanks

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalBeginner
knt is on a distinguished road

Default 29th July 2018, 04:37 PM

Maybe get the car scanned to see if it has any stored codes.

Shorter supercharger pulley and remap, exhaust and larger intercooler.

Depends how much more more you want, but take a look here

GTT | GT Tuning

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
totalMember
Finman is on a distinguished road

Default 30th July 2018, 12:52 PM

Hopefully a great purchase.

I would change all the fluids oil, anti-freeze (should be done every four years!) and brake fluid (should be changed every two years!!).

Would recommend having the serpentine belt changed, but if going for an upgrade with a smaller supercharger pulley get it done at the same time.

Gearbox and supercharger are supposed to be sealed for life! Gearbox oil change is relatively simple to do, two plugs one to drain and one fill (always undo the fill one first - to know you can get the oil back in). Supercharger oil change is a bit more involved. See if you can see the Wheeler Dealer episode were they did a Cooper S quite interesting.

When I bought mine I had an inspection 2 service and engine check with a run on the dyno at Lohen, all came back good. Since then I've had a 17% reduced supercharge pulley and an airtec top mounted intercooler fitted plus a few other mods!!

Great car, enjoy.

Rich

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
Old Skool
humph is on a distinguished road

Default 30th July 2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finman View Post
Hopefully a great purchase.

I would change all the fluids oil, anti-freeze (should be done every four years!) and brake fluid (should be changed every two years!!).

Would recommend having the serpentine belt changed, but if going for an upgrade with a smaller supercharger pulley get it done at the same time.

Gearbox and supercharger are supposed to be sealed for life! Gearbox oil change is relatively simple to do, two plugs one to drain and one fill (always undo the fill one first - to know you can get the oil back in). Supercharger oil change is a bit more involved. See if you can see the Wheeler Dealer episode were they did a Cooper S quite interesting.
I agree with all of the above, get all the fluids & belts changed. All relatively cheap, especially if you can do it yourself.

I'd be carefully inspecting the tyres. If the car has been stood all that time I'd suggest they won;t be round, will have cracked walls, & may well be out of date.

https://www.michelin.in/IN/en/help-a...new-tyres.html

Check for oil leaks, is the engine covered in oil? Tere seams to be two common oil leak locations; the crankshaft seal (behind the pulley), and the crank sensor on the front of the engine (99p part, expensive labour, diy job but a bit of messing)

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
totalAddict
wlondoner is on a distinguished road

Default 30th July 2018, 11:30 PM

I'd look at the tyres too, they deteriorate after a few years

Once you have fully checked it and changed the fuilds take it for a long drive get the oil warmed up

Take it in for a service if you haven't got any history at least that's one bit for the records of you later come to sell it? (You can print all old MOTs off from online and see if it ever failed on anything and ask MINI if they have ever had it in and can print some history off for you if they have)

I run @newminilondon on Instagram!

Now:F56 MINI Dooper MidnightBlack (Chili, Full White leather, Connected XL Nav, adaptive dampers, heated seats, HUD, Harmon Kardon speakers, black alloys)
Before:F56 MINI Dooper IcedChoc (Chili,VisualBoost,Leather)
Before: R56 MINI Cooper Lightning Blue (Chili,half leather)
Before :R50 MINI One Moonlight Black (Pepper)
+ 2 Audi TT MK2s in between.

2003 Mini Cooper S parked up for nearly 5 years- Help Please 😊
Old
  (#9 (permalink))
totalMember
Chalks13 is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Mini Cooper S parked up for nearly 5 years- Help Please 😊 - 31st July 2018, 04:40 AM

You can check the mot history here

https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old
  (#10 (permalink))
Old Skool
humph is on a distinguished road

Default 31st July 2018, 08:08 AM

Almost forgot, one bit that people forget to change when they should is the supercharger boots, the tubes that deliver air in and out. I believe that these are a service item and they perish causing running problems.