totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
The Dark Destroyer AKA Jaffa
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
benn25 is on a distinguished road

Default The Dark Destroyer AKA Jaffa - 20th September 2017, 11:33 PM

I thought it be a good idea to track and document my mods and upgrades for my new baby and share all my ups and downs. Ill try and update as frequently as possible.

So I bought this little beauty back in June 2017 from a Manchester based firm called Mini Independent after blowing up my Ford Focus by not putting enough bloody oil in the thing. 15 years driving and its now im acting like a novice. Although it has taught me a lesson and prepared me for these oil thirsty little blighters.

Saw the car on Sunday, was on a train going north by Tuesday.

30 mins into owning my 2008 MCS some biatch decided to use her Ranger Rover to scrape the rear passenger quarter panel of my car. Did she stop, did she hell! Karma...thats all ill say. Luckily she had caught most of the wheel trim rather than the bodywork. So no crying thankfully.

Carry on my journey back to The Big Smoke only to notice my own smoke coming from the rear end of the vehicle eveytime i moved off from idle. Big blimming plumes of the stuff!

You've got to be kidding me right. Thought to myself it may clear itself by the time I get home.....it didnt.

Anyway. After much discussions and swearing talking to Warranty Assist, the car dealer and my local garage i made a decision that if Mini Independent didnt fix the problem i would give them the car back.

The guys at MI were fantastic. I drove back up north, dropped the car off and they had it for 2 days, gave me a courtesy Mini to poot around Manchester & Liverpool in and sorted out the problem. Changed the turbo, changed the valve stems, changed the rocker cover, did whatever else was needed to fix the issue.

Touch wood, no more excessive smoke. Happy days

Heres a side view of Jaffa. Parked well on the kerb to avoid these maniacs here in the city.

Last edited by benn25; 21st September 2017 at 10:24 AM.

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road

Default 21st September 2017, 06:07 AM

A very nice set of wheels there and as for that Range Rover driver . Good to read that you got the engine issues sorted out and from your other thread on painting the black trim gloss black, I would invest in some good polish, more in the post below:

Black trim

Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 21st September 2017, 11:34 AM

So the 1st mod I did was change the hood scoop and open up the scoop to allow some of that heat to escape.

Got the scoop just before the prices went up too which was a bit of a bonus.

Next mod was to change the aerial to a stubby.

From this

To this

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 21st September 2017, 11:53 AM

Then it was to sorting out the headlights. I ended up getting a very good deal for a pair of Bi-Xenon headlights with the black inserts. Black Line so to speak. They arrived in August.

When I tried to remove the original headlights I couldnt. 1 screw on both sides didnt want to play and just kept turning and turning and turning and turning.

It wasnt until 2 weeks ago I decided to fit them. Dremel out and spent an hour cutting the bolts off. Bolts cut off, headlights out. Lovely jubbly.

Pull out my brand new headlights, only to find out the original ballasts wont fit the new headlights. F me! And theres me thinking it would be plug and play, however, nothing is ever so simple is it.

I had to purchase a new pair of ballasts from Germany. 80 for the pair delivered, which I thought was actually quite reasonable.

Arrived 5 days later. Finished work at 3. Home by 20 past. Tools out, lets get fitting.

Ballasts on, original washer on, new main beam bulb fitted, indicator bulb........are you having me on, indicator bulb doesnt fit! Thankfully the housings were identical. So I removed the original indicator housing and fitted it to the new one. Indicator bulb in. Plug in. WE HAVE LIGHT

Heres my new bulbs too. Very nice indeed. Bright too.

Next mod was the arrival of Jaffa which will give everyone an idea, if you hadnt figured it out already, what my secondary colour was going to be. So Ive decided to go orange. Why you ask. Reason being, its already been colour coded for me with the interior lighting from the panels. Plus I like the combination of the black and orange. I think its a good combo for both interior and extrerior.

I ended up buying a pair of these from aliexpress, but had to paint it myself. 1st attempt was naff as it just crumbled off. So I bought some plastikote hoping that would do a better job, which to some degree I guess it has. However the bolt from the door side, as you can see, keeps catching the cover.

Im gonna have to either find a way to stop the door catching or find a cover thats actually prefabricated orange and wont rub off. If anyone sees one, let me know.

Last edited by benn25; 21st September 2017 at 12:09 PM.

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 5th October 2017, 06:17 PM

So for the last 3 days Ive been working on trying to change these

to these

What an effing nightmare this has been. 3 wires thats it! 3 friggin wires turned a relatively easy job into a real pain in the arris

So 1st things 1st was off with the front bumper. Bear in mind iv never taken anything off a Mini before, a few youtube videos later and bumper was off

No real issues. A couple of clips at the bottom had me stumped for a couple of minutes but nothing that a brew, enthusiasm and a clear head can't resolve quickly.

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 5th October 2017, 06:24 PM

Next was to get the old fog lights out of the housing

Snap!

Okay, must be careful with the next one.....snap! Let me say this. I dont know about you but im not sure you can undo that clip without snapping it. Perhaps you can warm them up 1st may help.

Luckily enough I had some ties sitting in the toolbox, so with a bit of imagination managed to tie the new lights to the housing without any issues. Nice and solid.

Before we get into the wiring, here's what they look like

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 5th October 2017, 07:09 PM

So...onto the wiring. Now I very rarely follow instructions if a job is obvious, but I thought to myself, this time I was going to be sensible and actually read the instructions. I was planning on getting this done within 3 hours tops. Having seen some forum posts on the Mini upgrade DRL's claiming 1.5 hours but actually taking much longer I thought Ill take the same approach in terms of time it would take to hook these bad boys up.

The 1st mission, especially if you have proper man hands, not Trump sized was getting to the ground point. Its all the way down there

Thankfully I had already bought some tools which were for changing out the spark plugs in the future. Phew...no problems

Although in the end I had to move the fuse box out of the way aswell

2nd thing to do was to find an ignition point which after doing some more reading on the net I thought was the 12V point at the back of the engine bay fuse box. Connected the 3rd wire to the live point of the position light. Connected the drl mains box and voila!

Lights on and working...but hang on. Why are they on when the bloody car is completely off?

This had me stumped. It was getting dark so I decided to adjourn till the next day. Clearly something had gone wrong.

The following day whilst at work, Im trying to rack my brain as to why these lights were constantly on. Hit the forum's again to see if I could find an answer. Which I couldnt, but found a thread on the fitting of the Mini DRL version and decided, like an idiot to go down this route.

Pulled out battery. What a pulava that is! My god, seriously, everything is extra with this car. Cut the nipple off the rubber grommet and pushed the wire into the bottom of the passenger well inside the car. Pulled out the footwell module and connected pin 12.

Nope still not working properly. Light still constantly on. Tried a few more variations but still couldnt figure it out. Getting dark. Try again in a couple of days when Im off.

Today I got up early, expecting to be trying to solve this lighting riddle all day.

1st thing was to work out why the lights were on when the engine was off. Eventually working out that the live point at the back on the fuse box is not an ignition point, but a constant live point and what I could use as an ignition point was the lighter fuse no. 42.

Down to Halfrauds, pick up a fuse tap.

BOOM

Nope. Now I have no light at all Im getting fairly cheesed off and losing the will to live, as Ive followed the instructions to the letter. But I wont give up. Think man, think!!

I decide to throw the instructions away and do my own thing. And my own thing was to piggy back the original position light wiring

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 5th October 2017, 07:17 PM

Into car, fob in, ignition on, turn position light stalk, climb out, look at lights....ARGHHHHHHHHHHH

We have light! Cmon!!!! Do they turn off? Yurp they turn off too. I have working DRL's

My goodness. What a joke. 3 days of faffing about. But they look good if I say so myself.

Now I couldnt get a really nice pic of them in the dark but heres a pic of their illumination

I quite like the yellowish outer ring colour they give off too. An absolute mission but thats why modding is fun. End results.

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road

Default 6th October 2017, 07:23 AM

That was a big job! Well done on the perseverance front.... now get some spot lights on to finish off the front. Go for the new LED types:

Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report

Old
  (#10 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 10th October 2017, 04:24 PM

Been waiting for a month now as its the stage where I can actually make some real progress in the next few months with modifications.

Woke up in the morning at 06:00hrs for my trip down to Surrey for my walnutblasting appointment. Trip was estimated at 1.5 hours as I thought Id be clever and take the A25 instead of the M25 so that I can miss all the morning rush hour traffic. Left at 7am.

It didnt work out like that and my journey ended up being 3 hours long as the A25 was just rammed. Never again will I be using that A road. Absolute nightmare. What was meant to be a nice gentle cruise turned out to be an irritating stop start morning.

Anyhow arrived here

and met Will who owns the business. Very nice chap and very knowledgeable. He said to me it should be ready in 2 to 3 hours. Gave him the key and off I went into the very sleepy town centre of Camberley

Whilst sitting in Cafe Nero supping a mug of tea and munching on a very tasty slice of lemon cheesecake Will called to say TDD was ready.

Half an hours walking later I paid the very good price of 180 had a chat about future work, what he could what he couldnt and general chit chat and he also sent me some before and after pics of the valves in all their glory

Absolutely caked in the stuff. Apparently never been done before so required some extra attention. Unbelievable how much build up there was. But now she's been blasted to these results

Very happy with the results. Now if Im being honest on the journey back I didnt really notice any real difference in performance or responsiveness but Im happy in the knowledge that TDD will appreciate the clean.

No matter how much I love this car, you need the patience of a saint. Nothings easy. Everything is long and everything is a mission.