totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Bike Rack Fitting - How much???
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Beth is on a distinguished road

MINI Icon 2nd Gen Cab Blue Bike Rack Fitting - How much??? - 7th August 2013, 07:16 PM

So, I thought I'd got myself a good deal. A friend of a friend of a friend was selling his 2010 convertible and he had one of the genuine mini bike racks that fit nicely onto the back of the car so I got it off him cheap. The rack itself fits like a dream - on and off in a few minutes and easy to load the bike and stuff - great! Then I tried to plug it into the socket underneath the car to get the lights working and nothing...

After a quick search online it's look like a mini dealership need to programme the car initially to accept the bike rack and get it to connect. I figure I got the rack cheap so can stomach the silly amount that my local dealership charges to look into issues. That was yesterday when I took it in and I have had three different stories since...

1st they said that the bike rack was second hand and that it wouldn't let them programme my car to accept it since it was already registered to another car. That can't be right I said - what if I upgraded my car and wanted to fit my already owned rack. The nice lady then said she didn't really know and would get the workshop man to phone me directly.

He finally got in touch with me this morning and said that the controller was actually in the bike rack and couldn't be reprogrammed 'cause it was already registered to another car. I don't believe the controller can be in the bike rack - who'd design it that way round and when I said so he said he'd get the actual guy who worked on my car to speak to me...

Finally I speak to the actual technician who said that my car is completely missing an AHM/AVM controller and that I need to buy one to make the bike rack lights work - at a cost of 350!!! This is despite the fact that my car was sold with a "bike rack preparation".

I still think I'm missing something - none of the stories I have been told make sense - 1st they couldn't re-programme the controller and now I appear to not have the controller at all. Does anyone here have any similar/better experience or knowledge about what I really need to ask about. I'm pulling my hair out here!

Thanks a million!

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAddict
Angib is on a distinguished road

Default 7th August 2013, 09:19 PM

What they're telling you is basically right, though 350 is in taking the p**s territory.

Bike rack preparation from the factory is just the second mounting point in the bumper plus the trailer socket - in other words, quite sensibly, the bits that would cost you hundreds to install after the car is built (like, you would need a new bumper with the second hole).

If you buy the proper Mini bike rack, it includes:
- the first fitting to the car, including coding the car;
- the electrical converter box that goes in the boot.

In this diagram, item (1) is the whole bike rack and item (2) is the electrical converter box that is needed if you don't have one. Its part number is 82710444095 and its list price is 70.

350 is also the price of the complete bike rack. I wonder if that is what the dealer is quoting you - or if they're just trying to get back some of the money they've lost so far teaching themselves about Mini bike racks.....

I was in exactly your position, having bought one of the bike racks that dealers got for the R57 launch, and I've decided that I will just use it without the lights, as 70 for the converter box plus 90 or so to have it coded to the car is getting silly. The car's rear lights are perfectly visible through the bike's wheels so I'm not at all concerned about the ones on the rack not working.

And it is a bl**dy lovely bike rack that works so well. Shame about the lights.

The Following User Says Thank You to Angib For This Useful Post:
Beth (8th August 2013)
Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Beth is on a distinguished road

Default 8th August 2013, 08:12 AM

Well - that makes more sense although it's still a bit of a convoluted way round of doing it but fair enough - I'll give the dealership a phone with that information and see what they make of it...

They hadn't even identified that part number - they were asking me to by a 71606850497 AHM controller which does cost around 200 online but it sounds as if that wouldn't have even done the job and i just need the bike rack specific controller for the boot instead.

By the way - where did you find that exploded diagram from - I have searched and searched for more info online but with no joy but if that's part of a larger user manual it might have even more useful infr for the dealership in it...

Thanks for the help - much appreciated!

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalAddict
Angib is on a distinguished road

Default 8th August 2013, 03:30 PM

That 71606850497 part number is a 'trailer towing module' off a BMW 1/3/5/7-series and has a list price of 220-ish, so I'm not impressed with your dealer! It might (might) be the same box used on a Mini but given the price difference, I doubt it.

To look up parts diagrams (not manuals) go to Real OEM and input you car type/engine/age (Minis come after all the BMWs). Then you can search for almost any parts for your car. Finding some can be a bit hard to work out where they are - in this case, the rear bike rack is in 'Universal Accessories' and then in 'Roof Rack Systems'!

Tags
ahm controller, bike rack, convertible