totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Old
  (#11 (permalink))
1st Mini
7head is on a distinguished road

Default 14th September 2017, 06:18 AM

They are especially bad at motorway speeds. We do hardly any motorway cruising but we did a trip to Euro Disney in the summer holidays. It was half way down the m20 that I decided the run flats were coming off the moment I got home. The noise is literally laughable. It resonates through the whole cabin and once you are "tuned in" to it you can't unhear it!

Thank god for the HK system to drown it out.

When they came off, the first thing I noticed at speed was wind noise.... I had never heard wind noise in the mini and after a while I twigged that was because the original tyres were so noisy it drowned out the wind noise!

I know it's not ideal in terms of agro, but I'd get normal tyres speedbird..... if you sell the runflats on eBay you will actually make money on the transaction too!

No brainer for me. The car is so much quieter now.

R60 Cooper S auto, Pure red, chilli, media and light packs. Harman Kardon. Lots of mods to come.....

Old
  (#12 (permalink))
totalAddict
Dermottdog is on a distinguished road

Default 15th September 2017, 02:21 PM

Yes, I know I'm in the minority but I don't mind them. I've not driven a Mini without them mind you so I'm probably talking rubbish....

2011 FJCW
1999 3.0 V6 SWB Mitsubishi Shogun

Old
  (#13 (permalink))
totalAddict
MiniFirst has disabled reputation

Default 16th September 2017, 12:33 AM

I've had rf's on my car during all it's 8 years of ownership and never heard the 'noise' folk talk about . There have been 4 or 5 times where I've had a puncture and been able to drive home then next day drive to my local tyre puncture repair guys and have the problem sorted without getting my hands dirty.

I posted this story in here at the time but can't find it now.

About 5 years or so ago I discovered I had a puncture on the offside rear runflat as I was leaving Oban after a weekend break there. Four adults (including myself) were in the car, and it being a Sunday there was no way of finding a garage open to sort it, also I didn't carry one of those tyreweld things in a can. The only options open to me were to either book another night in Oban for the four of us or drive it home to Glasgow on the puncture. I opted for the latter.
I was under the impression at the time (wrongly) that if I don't speed over 50 mph I'll be fine...and that if I don't drive a distance of more than 100 miles on it it will get us all home. (Oban to Glasgow is 105 miles ) I took the chance and sure enough we all made it to our destinations 3 hours later.
Admittedly the tyre was making a 'bit of a noise' by the time we got home also that it was totally destroyed beyond recognition, but it did get us home in the end.

I now carry one of those tyreweld can things in case it ever happens again.

Old
  (#14 (permalink))
1st Mini
7head is on a distinguished road

Default 16th September 2017, 05:29 AM

So if you now carry tyre weld anyway then you may as well get off the rock hard runflats!

Make sure you have a pump on board though, the tyre weld won't do it on its own.

On the BMW forum I used to frequent during my ownership, there was obviously loads of chat about this. The most interesting aspect I found aside from the usual, bumps, noise, handling issues was the frequency of punctures.

There is a whole "conspiracy theory" idea that the runflats puncture way more frequently than non runflats. I am not necessarily agreeing with it but it makes very interesting reading. The conspiracy is that it makes more money for BMW.... in the early days of RFT only BMW could or would tackle them. Most tyre shops wouldn't... they do now of course but almost all of them still refuse to repair punctures regardless of the position on the tyre on a runflat. The runflat was designed in conjunction with BMW so it's all money back to them in one way or another. If they need replacing after every puncture that's a lot of tyres!

Mini first's "4 or 5 punctures in 8 years" is quite a a lot! Be interesting to see how my new "normal" tyres go!

R60 Cooper S auto, Pure red, chilli, media and light packs. Harman Kardon. Lots of mods to come.....

Last edited by 7head; 16th September 2017 at 05:37 AM.

Old
  (#15 (permalink))
Twin FUN Convertibles
Melvyn is on a distinguished road

Default 16th September 2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniFirst View Post
I posted this story in here at the time but can't find it now.
It's at the top of this page:

RunflatRun

Extensive mods to my Hyper Blue Cooper S Convertible:
Magic Tree air freshener; Road map moved from back of driver's seat to glove box; FUN plates; SmartTOP roof control; Chrome mirrors; Chrome bonnet scoop; Chrome boot handle and hinges; Chrome spotlights; Chrome air vents; Chrome door buttons; Chrome number plate surrounds; Chrome instruments and switches; Chrome gear knob and handbrake grip; Chrome pen in glove box; Chrome dust caps on front wheels (not sure about the back wheels - don't want to overdo it)
to dechroming. Keep it Chrome and Classy