totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Clutch & Flywheel
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Dazvanman is on a distinguished road

Default Clutch & Flywheel - 1st November 2017, 05:36 PM

Hi guys and girls,

After purchasing our used 2011 Mini Cooper Countryman SD All4 last May, we've had pretty much 12 months reliable motoring, until now!

After a recent routine service visit to our local BMW dealership (which was 235 for a major service, filters etc) the technician picked up on "Clutch Judder!"

The Labour to strip down and investigate only was 728. Then for new clutch and flywheel which I'm assuming is a DM flywheel inc the labour above is over 2k.

The car has only done 56k miles, so is this normal?

Thanks

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
Formally was Mini S Mad
JcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of light

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,448 Posts

Default 1st November 2017, 07:07 PM

Yes the lci clutches seem like cheese on a small amount of minis but it’s pretty well hidden but I found out when I was reasurchinf my issues. Appears Especially if the mini has spent many of years doing short town journeys.
I’ve got a 2011 lci FJCW bought practically new (33miles) & just shy of her 4th birthday at 19.5k after many months of fighting as everyone was adamant clutch can’t have gone at that low miles & months of trying a dealer a 2hr round trip diagnosed clutch release bearing they stupidly didn’t replace flywheel etc. Exac 11months to the day & less than 5k later exac sane symptoms release bearing went again which they couldn’t believe till I sent them the video. Thankfully they pushed a full clutch replacement incld flywheel & everything else cause they knew they’d ****ed up but would never admit!!
Thank the lord I’d payed to extend her warranty so we’ll untrully got my money back!!

Yeh was quoted over nearly 3k

Good luck with getting sorted just make the replace everything

MODERN MINI FRONT COVER STAR

The Following User Says Thank You to JcwMiniAdventures For This Useful Post:
Dazvanman (1st November 2017)
Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 1st November 2017, 09:26 PM

Thanks for that.

Yeah, I was thinking about a clutch conversion which people assure me is basically a solid mass flywheel?

However I'm reluctant to do this and spend the money and have the proper clutch and flywheel?

However not at main dealer prices.

At 56k I'm shocked its failing. At first I thought it may be because its an All4 model?

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road

Default 2nd November 2017, 08:09 AM

The earlier ALL4 models (those 2010 to 2012 models which have the window switches in the central console) suffered from early clutch wear and it was widely reported. Owners in the US were extremely vocal and as owners there get their own way MINI USA replaced the clutches under warranty:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ly-clutch.html

ALL4 models from 2013 where the window switches were located on the doors received a new clutch assembly (JCW version compared to the Cooper S version) and this seems to have resolved the issue but I did read some issues of clutches failing for this age of model. Here is an article reporting the new clutch assembly:

MINI Addresses Countryman Clutch Issue - MotoringFile

I replaced my 2013 Countryman ALL4 with 46k miles at the start of the year and there was no issues with the clutch but it was all motorway miles though. Due to the clutch issue covering your model I would raise with your dealer and also with MINI UK to secure a contribution towards the repairs.

Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report

Valeo
Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default Valeo - 6th November 2017, 08:58 PM

Guys,

Valeo flywheel any good?

Is it a genuine bmw mini component?

Thanks,

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
TotallyObsessed
Jordan will become famous soon enough

Default 7th November 2017, 06:24 AM

ring the main independent garages and get a quote.
i had mine replaced 2-3 years ago, Valeo i think also.. with clutch and flywheel and it was 1k inc labour.
mini are gonna be more expensive, but lohen, 1320, millys will do the same job for less