totalMINI
Home Forum FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > Model & Non-Model Specific > MINI Countryman
Reload this Page Countryman S E Hybrid - not such a good start

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#11 (permalink))
Old Skool
humph is on a distinguished road

Default 2nd January 2018, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warric View Post
It will recharge whilst you drive it, in the Save mode in motorways it runs a bit harder and recharges the battery; went from 30% to 95% over a 70 mile motorway run. MPG was about 40mpg.
If you can fit the sweetspot for the battery life it is a great car; if not, then its an expensive way to save money. But if you can get one as a company car then it makes a huge amount of sense versus a diesel or petrol.
This. We don't have the Countryman E on our company car list as yet, but we have various BMW & VW models. The guys are taking them as they are fast* and cheap on company car tax, but most are complaining about mpg. This was always going to be the case as most of us do 25k a year of mostly motorway.

I've had week long test drives in all and found the Golf GTE to be by far the best for mpg, getting double what I got out of the 330e. Just waiting for them to add the Countryman now. Biggest problem for me was just about getting to or from work on a single charge (plus 5 miles on petrol), but then any impromptu journeys whilst at work or in the evenings were expensive on petrol as battery wasn't charged.

*compared to the low powered diesel eco chuggers that the list used to consist of.

Old
  (#12 (permalink))
totalAddict
7head is on a distinguished road

Default 2nd January 2018, 01:03 PM

yes i get the attraction for the company car driver..... and they make a nice change to the eco diesel chuggers...

I am currently thrashing out a deal on one, it seems our usage may fit into the operating window of the SE.... about a 20 mile round commute daily so it makes sense. Also pricing up a 2 litre S to compare....

It seems at the moment that YOU have to fit the operating window of the car at present which luckily we do..... that will change as they develop of course and they will appeal to more and more.

R60 Cooper S auto, Pure red, chilli, media and light packs..SOLD

F60 Cooper S All4 auto. Thunder grey with a lot of gloss black and very little chrome. Chilli, Media, Tech, XL, LEDís, pano roof, black 19ís, black leather, black stripes, black roof, black rails (I like black)....pretty much all options ticked - already regret the ones that are missing.

Old
  (#13 (permalink))
totalAddict
maximillian is on a distinguished road

Default 6th August 2018, 08:05 AM

How is it doing after a few months?

Much better
Old
  (#14 (permalink))
totalBeginner
warric is on a distinguished road

Default Much better - 7th August 2018, 04:01 AM

I've now done 13,000 miles, and all good since the initial problems. Averaging 55mpg but as previously explained it very much depends on the journey you are making.
I don't think it is appreciated how temperature sensitive these hybrids are - in the winter the battery range was 10-13 miles in the real world, now in the summer I regularly get 20 miles - for me that is a critical difference.
Sport mode is addictive too....

MINI Countryman F60 1.5 Cooper S E All4 Tech JCW
Lapisluxury Blue, White Roof & Stripes, JC Chili Pack, Mini Yours Leather Lounge Interior

Old
  (#15 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 10th August 2018, 07:33 PM

Thanks for the reply.

I had decided to keep my JCW for another year and then change it for a basic Cooper petrol auto All4. However the only All4s now available is the hybrid and the Adblue S diesel. Hadn't really thought of a hybrid but it does seem to suit. Auto, petrol and All4 and good performance. I normal do 4 daily round trips of 15 miles so even the range would do.

Looking on the Configurator the PCP would be a bit less than the JCW. Have prices come down?

What happens if you are poodling along a country lane on battery, a clear short straight appears and you quickly want to overtake the car in front?

I can feel a 48 hour test drive coming on but you can bet the York dealership won't have anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to maximillian For This Useful Post:
SDavF60 (11th August 2018)
Old
  (#16 (permalink))
totalAddict
yorkie is on a distinguished road

Default 10th August 2018, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximillian View Post
Thanks for the reply.

I had decided to keep my JCW for another year and then change it for a basic Cooper petrol auto All4. However the only All4s now available is the hybrid and the Adblue S diesel. Hadn't really thought of a hybrid but it does seem to suit. Auto, petrol and All4 and good performance. I normal do 4 daily round trips of 15 miles so even the range would do.

Looking on the Configurator the PCP would be a bit less than the JCW. Have prices come down?

What happens if you are poodling along a country lane on battery, a clear short straight appears and you quickly want to overtake the car in front?

I can feel a 48 hour test drive coming on but you can bet the York dealership won't have anything.
When did the sd countryman get Adblue ?

Old
  (#17 (permalink))
totalBeginner
SDavF60 is on a distinguished road

Default 11th August 2018, 06:41 AM

There are 3 modes the car can drive in; Sport, where the petrol engine is on all the time (except at standstill or crawling at 3mph), auto, where the car will decide for itself the appropriate power source and eco where you will be mostly in electric.

As you might expect, in Eco mode responses are slower as it tries to conserve energy and there is little or no battery regeneration.

In Auto mode, if you are taking it easy, you will be in electric unless you plant it and the petrol motor kicks in. In electric mode the car will keep up with the flow of traffic easily enough.

In Sport mode is where the sparks fly; if there is charge available the two power sources combine and the acceleration is quite startling for a car carrying an extra 200kg over a non-hybrid - 0-60 in 6.5s is not to be sniffed at, and in-gear acceleration is excellent also. I can only compare this b to a 2.0 All4 Cooper S I had on loan a few years back and it feels every bit as fast, if not faster, as that model, but you can feel the weight of the batteries in the hybrid so it is not quite as nimble.

You can also flick a switch to keep it only in electric although you put your foot to the floor to override this and the car can do motorway speeds (but not for long).

To answer your question, in auto mode the responses are good enough for overtaking without sweating but the easiest thing is to switch to full on Sport mode and not only will you not sweat, you will have a great big grin on your face!

F60 Countryman PHEV, Island Blue, Black Roof / Mirror Caps, JCW Chili / Tech, Sun Protection Glass, Folding Mirrors

Old
  (#18 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 11th August 2018, 08:20 AM

Thanks again for the reply.

Now the last sentence I like as that is what I love about the JCW----- the big grin.

The Following User Says Thank You to maximillian For This Useful Post:
SDavF60 (11th August 2018)
Old
  (#19 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 11th August 2018, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie View Post
When did the sd countryman get Adblue ?
Don't know when but this is the reply from Mini Live Chat.
"I can confirm this model does use AdBlue, it has a 12.5 litre tank".

Old
  (#20 (permalink))
totalAddict
yorkie is on a distinguished road

Default 11th August 2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximillian View Post
Don't know when but this is the reply from Mini Live Chat.
"I can confirm this model does use AdBlue, it has a 12.5 litre tank".
thanks,have phoned 8 dealers and mini today and got 3 different answersand an update you can not order or get a sd built at the moment one thing I was shown today,the order for the one to replace ours was put in on 12/07/18 and is not gone in and was told on that day it would be the middle of October at the earliest ,saw this on the managers laptop and have been told by some other dealers production of the sd has stopped

Last edited by yorkie; 12th August 2018 at 09:05 AM.