totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > Model & Non-Model Specific > MINI Countryman
Reload this Page Countryman S E Hybrid - not such a good start

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Countryman S E Hybrid - not such a good start
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
warric is on a distinguished road

Default Countryman S E Hybrid - not such a good start - 21st November 2017, 05:14 PM

First time here, but with a story that may be interesting.
I was lucky enough through work to be able to order a Mini Countryman 1.5 Cooper S E PHEV (to replace a Volvo XC60). Due to the financial magic of a special deal on the lease, I managed to tick lots of boxes for options, and the order went in in June, with delivery happening mid October. Very happy when it arrived at work on the transporter.
But. I drove home (20 miles), then 5 miles more. Then, it wouldn't start. At all. Multiple error messages suggesting the engine had a major fault. Called Mini Assistance, the mechanic came out after 1 hour. 1st Mini PHEV he'd seen, and by all accounts from Mini/BMW UK HQ the 1st breakdown they'd had either. 22 failure codes on his computer, none of which could be fixed at the roadside. We tried a few things but it had to recovered to the dealer (Sytner Leicester).
By this time it was 8pm and I needed to be 100 miles away for work, ended up in a old shape Countryman SD from Enterprise. So the first day of ownership didn't go so well.
A very long story short, after many tests and checks, it appears that one of the 5 battery modules had a problem. They changed the wiring loom for the HV battery, and the Cell Supervision Module. This fixed it - not sure they really knew the cause or just through parts at it - so after 4 weeks I got it back. In this time I'd had the 'old' Countryman for 3 weeks, and after complaining a lot got a brand new 5 series for the last week.
Now - it's a great car. Quiet, quick, comfortable. The electric - petrol interface is seamless, at low throttle inputs you can hardly tell the engine has kicked in. And when it does, the 3 cylinder sound is good.
Too early for accurate fuel consumption yet, a 40 mile round trip today (20 miles motorway, 20 miles stop start city) got my 56mpg leaving the car to its own devices (and starting with a full battery).
I just hope the problems are behind it and I haven't got a Friday afternoon car...

MINI Countryman F60 1.5 Cooper S E All4 Tech JCW
Lapisluxury Blue, White Roof & Stripes, JC Chili Pack, Mini Yours Leather Lounge Interior

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road

Default 21st November 2017, 09:47 PM

Welcome to tM, I’ve started seriously looking at this model as a replacement. Not a good start with the battery issues but then again that’s a risk with new model launches, we had a large number of issues with our first Countryman which we bought eight months after the model was first launched. We have a similar distance with our commute but typically how long does the battery charge last? Only asking as we have no suitable charging points at or near our place of work and I read although the petrol engine does charge the battery it is only up to 10%.

Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 21st November 2017, 10:10 PM

I will let you know after I do the journey a few times - but I reckon 15 miles is about the limit without changing driving style too drastically. The regenerative charging seems to work well, the charge goes up noticeably when you coast at any speed. I've noticed that you can't help but use electric - put it on Battery Save mode and it still uses the electric to get you moving from stationary.

As standard you get a 3-pin plug cable which at home is taking about 2.5 hours to fully charge. To use commercial charging points you need the high speed charging cable - another £150+.

Lapisluxury Blue, White Roof & Stripes, JC Chili Pack, Mini Yours Leather Lounge Interior

The Following User Says Thank You to warric For This Useful Post:
zf44 (21st November 2017)
Old
  (#4 (permalink))
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road

Default 21st November 2017, 10:31 PM

Itís a shame it doesnít work in the same way as the Tesla models where they offer hundreds of miles on a single charge. I am going to follow your thread with interest before making up my mind but so far performance is very impressive with the 0-60 time similar to a JCW.

Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 8th December 2017, 05:28 PM

So a few weeks into ownership, an update.
From fully charged I am getting about 15 miles of battery range with a light right foot. Home to work is 21 miles - 8 miles semi-rural, 10 miles dual carriageway, 3 miles urban. The trip computer is saying 95mpg for those trips, assuming full charge. But I've done a few 100 mile + journeys too and on those it is averaging 45mpg (without hanging about). So if you do shorter journeys and can recharge, it makes sense.
Other things - the fuel tank is almost comically small. Leicester-Heathrow and back (220 miles?), and I need to fill it up again quite urgently. It is properly quick, especially with the petrol and electric in action together. It rides well, quiet at motorway speed and the 3 cylinder noise is much better than I expected, sporty.

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
totalMember
Wild Thing is on a distinguished road

Default 8th December 2017, 07:13 PM

my old clubbie oil burner will do 50mpg raging the life out of it so whats the big reward with phev

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalBeginner
yorkie is on a distinguished road

Default 8th December 2017, 09:15 PM

So with all the hype and price,averages about the same as a 2ltr Petrol