totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Towing a caravan
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
keithhack is Offline
totalBeginner
keithhack is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dorset
   
Default Towing a caravan - 20th April 2018, 05:27 PM

We had are first weekend away in the van and first tow with the new countryman.We have the 1.5 petrol All4 manual and it is a great little tow car very good at pulling away even on a hill and flys up through the gears nearly as good as are last diesel. It will sit at 60 mph on the flat in 6 gear but needs to be dropped down on the long hills . We did get some funny looks on the camp sites towing with a mini but itís up to the job .
The caravan weighs 1400 kg and is 24 foot long. I would post a photo but not sure how to on here . I hope this is good info for anyone looking at towing with a new countryman as we could not find anything before we ordered it so took a chance . Its good on fuel as well getting 23 mpg the same as are old 2.2L diesel. We only go short distanceses normally about 50 miles so would go for a S model if going abroad or the van weighs more than ours but the petrol turbo is a good replacement for a diesel if like us you only use it around town the rest of the time.
  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keithhack For This Useful Post:
zf44 (21st April 2018)
Old
  (#2 (permalink))
zf44 is Offline
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road
 
zf44's Avatar
 
Posts: 1,138
Thanks: 93
Thanked 308 Times in 269 Posts
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Gloucestershire
   
Default 21st April 2018, 10:23 AM

Thanks for sharing. The mpg is on the low side for me but appreciate its working hard to tow.


Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#3 (permalink))
yorkie is Offline
totalAddict
yorkie is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: moved to norfolk
   
Default 21st April 2018, 04:32 PM

that's where we gain,best 32.9mpg with no trailer,trailer with 500kgs in and wait of trailer still get 32 mpg

Last edited by yorkie; 20th May 2018 at 08:53 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#4 (permalink))
Rich is Offline
totalBeginner
Rich is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 1
Thanks: 2
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Holmfirth
   
Default 5th July 2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhack View Post
We had are first weekend away in the van and first tow with the new countryman.We have the 1.5 petrol All4 manual and it is a great little tow car very good at pulling away even on a hill and flys up through the gears nearly as good as are last diesel. It will sit at 60 mph on the flat in 6 gear but needs to be dropped down on the long hills . We did get some funny looks on the camp sites towing with a mini but itís up to the job .
The caravan weighs 1400 kg and is 24 foot long. I would post a photo but not sure how to on here . I hope this is good info for anyone looking at towing with a new countryman as we could not find anything before we ordered it so took a chance . Its good on fuel as well getting 23 mpg the same as are old 2.2L diesel. We only go short distanceses normally about 50 miles so would go for a S model if going abroad or the van weighs more than ours but the petrol turbo is a good replacement for a diesel if like us you only use it around town the rest of the time.

Hi, can I ask if you have the factory fit towbar? If. It not, do you know what brand of towbar you have?
Iím trying to get one for our 2017 Countryman and all the fitters are saying there isnít one available. Our car was bought nearly new so we didnít have the chance to spec a factory fit unfortunately

Thanks
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#5 (permalink))
yorkie is Offline
totalAddict
yorkie is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: moved to norfolk
   
Default 5th July 2018, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Hi, can I ask if you have the factory fit towbar? If. It not, do you know what brand of towbar you have?
I’m trying to get one for our 2017 Countryman and all the fitters are saying there isn’t one available. Our car was bought nearly new so we didn’t have the chance to spec a factory fit unfortunately

Thanks
You have to have the storage compartment fitted,if you have the vin number or reg number a dealer parts dept will tell you if a mini one will fit and how much and what else needs to be changed,l got quoted £1600 when I phoned up about an ex demo one before we got ours,£655 in a built one if it has bike rack preparation the answer is no for a caravan and it will cost up to £4000

Last edited by yorkie; 6th July 2018 at 11:59 AM.
  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yorkie For This Useful Post:
Rich (5th July 2018)
Old
  (#6 (permalink))
keithhack is Offline
totalBeginner
keithhack is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dorset
   
Default 6th July 2018, 09:23 PM

Only just seen the post . I will have a look tomorrow but it looks like a tow trust bar as it looks the same fitment as are tow trust we had on are last Vauxhall.
I had a quote for a Vw dealer fit on my transporter for over £1000 but got one fitted with factory spec electric for under£600 from my local tow bar fitters.
When we got our car the end of last year we had to factory order as they couldnít get a bar fitted to a built car but hope you can find one by now.
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#7 (permalink))
keithhack is Offline
totalBeginner
keithhack is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 16
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Dorset
   
Default 8th July 2018, 11:06 AM

Tow are is made by brink part number 7160-6884562
Type number 6153
Serial number. 050385M01 022 E
It does have a BMW logo on the label so could be bmw part number and not brink number . I hope you find one as they are great little tow car
  
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to keithhack For This Useful Post:
Rich (9th July 2018)
Old
  (#8 (permalink))
yorkie is Offline
totalAddict
yorkie is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 113
Thanks: 0
Thanked 18 Times in 18 Posts
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: moved to norfolk
   
Default 8th July 2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhack View Post
Tow are is made by brink part number 7160-6884562
Type number 6153
Serial number. 050385M01 022 E
It does have a BMW logo on the label so could be bmw part number and not brink number . I hope you find one as they are great little tow car
that is the part number for the genuine mini onehttps://www.realoem.com/bmw/en/showparts?id=YV92-EUR-11-2017-F60-Mini-JCW_ALL4&diagId=03_1095,as I said above you can fit a tow bar to some it depends what you want to pull, there is a second hand blue jcw on mini website, to fit a tow bar to that one is over four Grande to pull a caravan, as quoted at a mini dealer on Friday , car is £41000+£4000 for tow bar £45000 for a used mini with a tow bar is a lot of money for a mini
  
Reply With Quote
Old
  (#9 (permalink))
Andy23 is Offline
totalBeginner
Andy23 is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Dorset
   
Default 10th July 2018, 07:37 PM

4 grand for a towbar is a bit steep!

We bought our all4 cooperD from the showroom (Just happened to be the exact spec!) so there was no option to add a towbar to the order, it had to go back in for that to be fitted.

At the time (May 17) only the genuine version was available and mini insisted that the cooling system also be upgraded, after some haggling we got the price to £1200 installed.

We still get some odd looks pulling up on campsites - no one believes that the car can pull 1800kg but as a tow car it performs really well!

Cheers,

Andy
  
Reply With Quote
Towing a caravan
Old
  (#10 (permalink))
Chalks13 is Offline
totalMember
Chalks13 is on a distinguished road
 
Posts: 61
Thanks: 26
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: Basingstoke
   
Default Towing a caravan - 10th July 2018, 08:13 PM

£4K for a towbar?? Iíd buy a strong towing vehicle for less and then sell it again after your holiday


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC2
vBulletin Skin developed by: vBStyles.com