totalMINI
Home Forum FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > Model & Non-Model Specific > MINI Countryman
Reload this Page Joys of Countryman ownership at 3 months old!

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old
  (#21 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Cdfebay is on a distinguished road

Default 19th July 2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by humph View Post
6 months is the key date, or used to be. Before 6 months its assumed the problem should have been spotted by a dealer. After 6 months you have prove it was present when you bought it if I recall correctly.
From the advice I've received this evening from a legal advisor. It seems that faults in new cars under six months old are deemed in law to have been present at the inception of the vehicle build and then deemed to make the vehicle of unsatisfactory quality at the point of sale and for the initial six months after sale, the dealer has to unequivocally prove otherwise to defend a new vehicle rejection from a customer within that first six months.

That could be why the Mini Brand Manager looked a little peeved!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cdfebay For This Useful Post:
davyboy (19th July 2013), Scottyg (19th July 2013)
Old
  (#22 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 1st August 2013, 07:00 PM

Thought I'd give a quick update on my (now ex) Countryman. Mini UK agreed to buy the vehicle back after I gave Mini FS and the dealer 14 days to remedy breach of contract under two separate laws; one applying to the dealer the other to Mini FS. Mini UK consulted with BMW AG and it then got resolved. Never got to the bottom of the engine problem but they seemed to move quick after they did an engineer inspection.

I was given the option of either a new factory ordered Countryman or walk away from the finance. I took the latter as I no longer have any faith or confidence in the Mini product. Owned three Mini's since the first BMW generation and this experience has convinced us never to return, was tempted with the X1 or 320d Touring but the Mini experience stopped us ordering from BMW.

So we picked up our new VW Tiguan SE Tdi 4motion last night and love it totally different from the Countryman in all the right ways, dealer great to deal with, good finance deal (paying 30 per month less than the Countryman), great discount and the dealer pulled out all the stops to urgently get me a car from VW UK central stock to meet my order - even sent a low loader down south to get it for me in three days. Car is great to drive and that is hard for me to say after being a Mini convert from a 16 year old buying an old Austin Mini 850 for 50 and spending the summer welding a new floor into it - halcyon days and happy memories and that's how I'll remember Mini - such a real shame that it resulted in my leaving Mini but my family and I are not missing the Countryman at all.

All I'd say is a certain large BMW/MINI dealer group in North West England are the worst for customer care I have ever come across in 25 years of buying new or nearly new cars. Mini UK and Mini FS when they spun into action were apologetic, wanted to make things right and apologised on behalf of the dealer even calling them to make the dealer settle the issue with me but the dealers Brand Manager was belligerent at best to the point of refusing to shake my hand when I handed the loan car back and I wished him all the best - now that is petty.

Thanks all and the best of luck with your Countryman's

Last edited by Cdfebay; 1st August 2013 at 09:05 PM.

Old
  (#23 (permalink))
totalAddict
Darlo is on a distinguished road

Default 1st August 2013, 08:16 PM

Excellent result all round. Both me and the mrs like the tiguan and are considering one at the minute. A friend has got one, had it a year now, not a single problem and 40mpg around town (4wd 140bhp)., looks good as well.

All the best with the vw

Old
  (#24 (permalink))
Never too old for fun!
davyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to all

Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,425 Posts

Default 2nd August 2013, 10:40 PM

Really glad it's resolved now and you have a new car

It is a real pity that a useless dealer put you off the brand though!

"Life's too short not to!!"

Joys of Countryman ownership at 3 months old!
Old
  (#25 (permalink))
totalAddict
aldo is on a distinguished road

Default Joys of Countryman ownership at 3 months old! - 2nd August 2013, 10:51 PM

Who was the North West dealer?

Halliwell Jones by any chance, shower of muppet they are!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD.

Old
  (#26 (permalink))
DS R53 2006
Gal is on a distinguished road

Default 3rd August 2013, 01:19 AM

I think I might have been a bit more full on.
Stick the car up ur arse. Here's the keys, I 'm leaving and I 'll see you when you 'be got my new car!!!
Then keep talking to Mini uk till it's sorted. The law is on your side with this one so take no ****!!!

Old
  (#27 (permalink))
DS R53 2006
Gal is on a distinguished road

Default 3rd August 2013, 01:24 AM

Sorry didn't read your last post.
Great result but sorry to hear you've left the Mini fold. They are great cars when you don't have problems like you did.
Well done in not taking any dealer crap.

Old
  (#28 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 3rd August 2013, 07:28 AM

Thanks, the dealer was Williams Bolton. Mini UK and Mini FS were telling me one story and they were telling me another and double dealing until the last even backing out of a 500 goodwill gesture cheque at the last minute and turning it into a 500 discount on a Mini or BMW.

Got to say Mini UK were very good but what was strange was when I first described the engine problem as just mpg related they were dismissive but when I mentioned the chatter noise and lack of pull alongside the poor mpg their attitude completely switched and that was when it was suggested by them that I reject the car. Not wanting to put two and two together and get five but aren't the mini diesel engines not the same E47 ones that had timing chain problems a few years back? Weird they never told me the results of the engineers inspection just that I could have refund or a new one.

If you're in the market for a nearly new Countryman and come across a 2600 mile Blazing Red Cooper D Countryman with a white roof and bonnet stripes registered late March 2013 and being sold via Approved used just make sure you have it fully checked out before you buy.

Old
  (#29 (permalink))
Never too old for fun!
davyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to all

Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,425 Posts

Default 3rd August 2013, 07:43 AM

Just proves what a mine field buying a car can be at times!

At least this is one happy ending, good luck and try to forget the saga

"Life's too short not to!!"

Old
  (#30 (permalink))
totalAddict
Liz131 is a splendid one to beholdLiz131 is a splendid one to beholdLiz131 is a splendid one to beholdLiz131 is a splendid one to beholdLiz131 is a splendid one to beholdLiz131 is a splendid one to beholdLiz131 is a splendid one to behold

Default 3rd August 2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Just proves what a mine field buying a car can be at times!

At least this is one happy ending, good luck and try to forget the saga
Sound words Mr D

MINI Countryman S ALL4 in Blazing Red

Tags
cooper, countryman, dealer, diesel, mpg