totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > Model & Non-Model Specific > MINI Countryman
Reload this Page Joys of Countryman ownership at 3 months old!

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Joys of Countryman ownership at 3 months old!
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Cdfebay is on a distinguished road

Icon9 Joys of Countryman ownership at 3 months old! - 19th July 2013, 08:02 AM

Hi,

Newbie here and had just posted in another thread about reliability, thought i'd start a new thread as I wanted to seek some advice from the people in the know. Apologies in advance for the long thread but I'm puzzled with how to proceed next with my dealer or just put it down to owning a Mini.

I bought a new Countryman Cooper D 2wd manual in April 2013 and now have just over 2.5k miles on it. Had lots of issues on delivery with a dented wheelarch and the valet making lots of deep scratches in the paint (Blazing Red) that it took them 2 days to reprep it -still not 100% but as good as they can get it.

Anyhow, last weekend the climate control system went down, whilst the display was on and could be altered not a bit of air hot or cold would come out of the vents.

Went into the dealer on Monday and they reckon the Stage 2 relay failed (always happens according to them!) and I drove it home that night with climate working again. Started the car up late Monday evening and the problem had come back but after ten minutes the air slowly started up and then blew like a hurricane and was freezing cold. It worked again Tuesday am and then failed Tuesday pm. Took it back to dealer Wednesday (with it deciding to work again and then on start up at the dealers it failed on the tech guy who was suggesting it was something I was doing) they are now saying a blower unit has failed and once again it happens a lot with Mini's. Been in the dealers 4 days this week.

I also mentioned to the dealer not long after i got the car and again yesterday, that I was yet to get above 34mpg out of it with a mix of driving (50-70 mph motorway and dual carriageways mostly). Also noticed that my carmakes a pinking/chatter under acceleration and will not pull away in anything above 2nd gear and seems to want to stall if it will take off in second gear. The dealer gave me an All4 Cooper D and currently have a Countryman One D as loaners and they drive like a dream, really quite, pull like trains and feel really smooth to drive, both 45 mpg+ one with 4.5k and the other 500 miles - hardly any idle vibration or diesel noise at all, make mine feel like a really old agricultural diesel in comparison.

Asked the dealer to look at it as clearly such low diesel mpg and the noise/sluggishness compared to the lower powered One D can't be right. Guess what the dealer said - they've checked it and within tolerance, it's normal to get variations in them and it happens a lot with Mini's.

I am seriously thinking I've got a 'Friday' car here and the dealer is just dodging the issues, although they are finally dealing with the climate issue hopefully. Currently have next to no confidence in my Countryman, wish we'd got something else and the dealers 'it happens with Mini's' attitude is really making me nervous for long term ownership - I spent 23k on a car that feels like it supported by Del Boy Trotter and built by the Marx Brothers.

I know issues can happen with all cars but our previous Toyota RAV4 ran for 3 years without a single hitch and the dealer really cared that we enjoyed owning it, just a shame it drove like a home appliance though.

Are the above 'issues' normal Mini ownership experinces? We love the car and it looks great but am seriously worried that this is the shape of things to come. I've contemplated telling them to take it back but it's Mini financed and from a conversation with them they are saying it is not serious enough to use the Sale of Goods Act to reject it and they'll fight the rejection.

Thanks
Carl

Last edited by Cdfebay; 1st August 2013 at 08:16 PM.

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAddict
Scottyg is on a distinguished road

Default 19th July 2013, 08:21 AM

That's not great at all. I've got a One petrol CM and I'm averaging 42 mpg mixed driving with 800 miles on the clock.
As for the Sales of Goods Act, try going down the line of Consumer Credit Act 1974 Section 75. This is what you use if its on finance. This is due to the finance company being liable for your car and basically joint owners. I feel your frustration as I've just been through this with VX. They love the its a characteristic of the car or its within tolerances!
Why not try another dealer and see what their take is on it. Go in with the fault like its your first visit!
Hope you get things sorted.

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 19th July 2013, 08:34 AM

Thanks for that Scottyg,

I'm due to collect it later today, I'm going to make them drive the loaner and mine back to back and let them explain to me how they are both similar. Sounds like its always 'computer says no' when you mention an issue and they don't think like engineers but computer operators.

As my daughter says when i complain 'daddy is putting on his angry wig' - Shrek 3 has a lot to answer for

Carl

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalAddict
Scottyg is on a distinguished road

Default 19th July 2013, 08:50 AM

Its Tech's that run these workshops and if nothing shoes up on fault codes then they're stumped. I bet if you went to an Indy to diagonse, not fix, them they would know what it was in a heart beat. Keep at them. I always just say, they are there to please me not the other way around!

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
CM SD ALL4 & Roadster SD
zf44 is on a distinguished road

Default 19th July 2013, 01:33 PM

I have the same CM as you but a 2011 model. My mpg hovered around 50mpg up to 10k miles and now at 30k miles reaching the late 50 mpg thats a CM with a heavy panoramic sunroof, 18" alloys and runflat tyres which all affect mpg. Don't depend too much on the onboard computer reading, I find you need to reset at the start of each journey to provide you with an accurate reading, use the brim to brim technique to work out manually what your true mpg is. Unfortunately the dust particle filter doesn't help with the fuel economy if you are only doing short trips as it uses extra fuel to burn the soot in your exhaust to prevent clogging and if you have an automatic mpg will suffer there too.

Once you have sorted out your ventilation system, get a second opinion from another dealer before you begin to escalate. As with all brands there are good as well as bad dealers out there.

Current
2013/13 Mini Roadster 2.0 Cooper SD.
2016/16 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

Previous
2013/13 Mini Countryman 2.0 Cooper SD All4.

~ Our CM SD All4
~ 10,000 miles report
~ 20,000 miles report
~ 30,000 miles report
~ 40,000 miles report

2011/11 Mini Countryman 1.6 Cooper D 2WD.

~ 25,000 miles report
~ 35,000 miles report

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
Never too old for fun!
davyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to all

Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,425 Posts

Default 19th July 2013, 02:20 PM

I don't have a CM but do have a JCW petrol and get more to the gallon!

Dealers attitude really annoy me saying things like that, just a cope out IMO!

I had a MINI returned after 6 months from faults with rattles in the cabin...

"Life's too short not to!!"

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalAddict
Twin sunroof will become famous soon enoughTwin sunroof will become famous soon enough

Default Joys of Countryman ownership at 3 months old! - 19th July 2013, 02:42 PM

Your air con maybe affecting MPG, my ALL4 Cooper D is returning 45mpg it's done 27000 miles and has a sunroof

The Following User Says Thank You to Twin sunroof For This Useful Post:
Cdfebay (19th July 2013)
Old
  (#8 (permalink))
Exterminate!
Elphaba is a jewel in the roughElphaba is a jewel in the roughElphaba is a jewel in the roughElphaba is a jewel in the rough

Default 19th July 2013, 03:02 PM

Clearly if the ONE D you borrowed was smoother, quieter and faster than your Cooper D then there is an issue? Ask the service manager to take you out in both cars back to back.

All 4 one...

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
Old Skool
humph is on a distinguished road

Default Joys of Countryman ownership at 3 months old! - 19th July 2013, 03:03 PM

My CM JCW averages 30mpg, shocked at your diesel figures, they're just not right. I'm not aware of any of the climate issues you mention being common either. Can I suggest you start using a different dealer, or at least seek a second opinion from one that is known to be good. Unfortunately the standard of service varies massively from one dealer to another.

Old
  (#10 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 19th July 2013, 05:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin sunroof View Post
Your air con maybe affecting MPG, my ALL4 Cooper D is returning 45mpg it's done 27000 miles and has a sunroof
Thanks but it has transpired in todays latest debacle with ................... that the a/c has not been working properly from new by the looks of it - that makes my mpg even worse to stomach.

I rang Mini UK and spoke to a guy there who took me by surprise by strongly recommending that I formally reject the vehicle today as now another part in the climate control system has failed and it will now be next week before they can get the part (a resistor) and the noise and mpg are not in line with acceptable BMW/Mini new car standards.

He has been totally supportive and talked me through the steps I need to take, including hand delivering a letter of rejection due to 'total loss of faith and confidence in the vehicle due to it failing to be of satisfactory quality from build'.

Went up to the dealer to hand over the rejection letter, as the contract of sale was between myself and ...................., and the Mini Brand Manager took the letter off me and then told me he will only act on correspondence from Mini UK and he'll inform me of the outcome in due course, he would not discuss with me the issues leading to my letter and stopped me talking to tell me it was between them and Mini and I have no party to it - thought I was the customer suffering the issues here

Last edited by Cdfebay; 1st August 2013 at 09:10 PM.

Tags
cooper, countryman, dealer, diesel, mpg