totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > Model & Non-Model Specific > MINI Roadster
Reload this Page My Roadster is pi**ing me off

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
My Roadster is pi**ing me off
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
There once was a Bungle
JimmyJCW is on a distinguished road

Default My Roadster is pi**ing me off - 16th June 2013, 06:07 PM

Before the site crashed, I posted a little write up of how I was getting on with my roadster after owning it for 6 months.

At the time, it had had a replacement water pump as it seemed to be squealing a lot at idle.

I'll afford any car a bit of slack when it comes to teething problems. After all, they're complex mechanical and electrical items and as long as the warranty pick up any of the work that needs doing then I'm happy.

Whats more, the car is so electrifying to drive that for a time at least, it could do no wrong.

Well the honey moon period is over. It will be a year old in he coming weeks and to date:

3 new water pumps (including a redesigned, metal cased one that was supposed to eliminate the problem)
replacement MF wheel buttons
stiff door handles
peeling vinyl on the colour line
stutters in power delivery (coking)
Faulty power fold door mirrors

Now this may seem a bit petty... but it's the water pump that's ****ing me off. despite having this re-designed part fitted, it's started squealing yet again.

To add to this, the AirCon now seems to have failed. Really starting to take the edge off what fundamentally is a great little car.

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalModerator
Lytesben is a splendid one to beholdLytesben is a splendid one to beholdLytesben is a splendid one to beholdLytesben is a splendid one to beholdLytesben is a splendid one to beholdLytesben is a splendid one to beholdLytesben is a splendid one to behold

Default 16th June 2013, 06:10 PM

I saw on FB you were having some problems Elliot. That really is not good at all. Like you say you might give it some leeway in regards to teething problems but that really is taking the proverbial!

Hope it gets sorted and you fall back in love again

The Following User Says Thank You to Lytesben For This Useful Post:
JimmyJCW (16th June 2013)
Re: My Roadster is pi**ing me off
Old
  (#3 (permalink))
Total Moderator
KillerByte is a jewel in the roughKillerByte is a jewel in the roughKillerByte is a jewel in the roughKillerByte is a jewel in the rough

Default Re: My Roadster is pi**ing me off - 16th June 2013, 07:40 PM

Sorry to hear you're having problems, especially on a car so young like yours.

With regards to the water pump, mine has had a squealing noise for months but the dealer doesn't think there is an issue. Even when the thermostat housing was replaced last month (to resolve coolant loss), they said the water pump was fine.

Hope you manage to get yours sorted soon.

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
Never too old for fun!
davyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to all

Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,425 Posts

Default 16th June 2013, 08:10 PM

Feeling your pain!

Been there with my first clubbie, hopefully they sort yours ASAP ......

"Life's too short not to!!"

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalModerator
Lorri is a name known to allLorri is a name known to allLorri is a name known to allLorri is a name known to allLorri is a name known to allLorri is a name known to all

Default 16th June 2013, 08:58 PM

That's a real shame Ell on such a lovely car I hope it doesn't spoil your enjoyment too much!

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
There once was a Bungle
JimmyJCW is on a distinguished road

Default 16th June 2013, 10:40 PM

We'll see. It's more the embarrassment than anything. It's a 30k MINI that sounds like its got a fan belt issue when you start it up.... just annoying. Gonna take it back for a fourth time.

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalAddict
JohnnyC is on a distinguished road

Default 17th June 2013, 12:11 AM

I feel your pain.

Although my Mini has been totally reliable so far (it's 8 years old now, owned it for 9 months), after working on it I've found parts of the car are just very badly designed. If I can see obvious flaws, why can't the engineers who designed it?

BMW should be ashamed of themselves with the MANY faults that have plagued Mini owners, a 'premium' manufacture they certainly are not.

I for one, will not be buying a Mini or BMW ever again in the future.

Most new cars have teething troubles, here's a list of all the problems I've had with the 3 brand new cars I've owned...
1st car - Decal came off - replaced, alarm too sensitive - adjusted.
2nd car - Alarm too sensitive - adjusted.
3rd car - Alarm too sensitive - adjusted.

That is all.
All cars were Toyotas, you know, that common Japanese manufacturer, not a 'premium' brand at all

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
EastCoastMiniClub
Streeters is on a distinguished road

Default 17th June 2013, 01:02 AM

It's a shame you've had these issues Elliot .

There never seems to be that many roadster owners abut to get a decent overview of any common issues. I guess that's a peril of owning a niche car.

We've had no major issues with ours in all honesty, apart from the fact that the bootlid appears to be out of alignment slightly and we've now got a small bit of bare metal where the hinge has been rubbing inside and a line on the bumper where the bottom edge of the bootlid obviously rubs. This will no doubt be under warranty when Mrs S gets her Jacksy down the dealers or leaves it at home one day for me to do it.

I think I'd be really hacked off with your problems that seem to re-occur

'91 Mini Cooper'06 JCW GP0548

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
totalAddict
cheekymini is on a distinguished road

Default 17th June 2013, 11:20 AM

I would go back to the dealer and demand a new car, this seems as if there is more of a problem than just the water pump... When I sold cars for honda, we had a customer come back in after a few months with a paint problem on the inner door frame. He managed to get a brand new replacement. He kicked up such a stink with trading standards he won!

The paint was not thick enough and it could have been fixed but the customer was right in saying it should have been seem at quality control.

2013 Mini Cooper S (Chilli red 003)

2013 Mini Cooper S (Kite blue 001)

A Member of totalmini since 2009

Last edited by cheekymini; 17th June 2013 at 11:22 AM.

Old
  (#10 (permalink))
totalAddict
Madpig is a splendid one to beholdMadpig is a splendid one to beholdMadpig is a splendid one to beholdMadpig is a splendid one to beholdMadpig is a splendid one to beholdMadpig is a splendid one to behold

Default 17th June 2013, 11:42 AM

I reckon you would either have to be either extremely lucky or have a very serious fault to get a replacement vehicle after a year.......

White Silver with black roof, mirrors, and black spotlights