totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Old
  (#11 (permalink))
totalBeginner
fasterthanlight is on a distinguished road

Default 21st July 2013, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCW View Post
My Mrs has a JCW Roadster, I think it's a brilliant car
JCW, it's this very pic of your other half's car that you posted a while back, that made me reconsider the JCW Roadster. Kite Blue certainly looks amazing in the sunshine - you don't see many this colour.

I did ask at the MINI dealership if Sport Suspension was truly an option. When you select Chili Pack on the configurator, it's shown as a no cost option. However, when you go to the final series of options on the configurator, it's there on its own, but for 0 and it's unselected. I told the dealer this was confusing, but didn't get a definitive answer as to whether it came by default or not.

As for the test drive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
How tall are you Paul? I found the raked windscreen top edge way too low for my tastes even with seat on lowest position so will be interested to read your views
Well, I'm 5'-10" so didn't have a problem seeing out, although having owned the Convertible previously where of course the top of the windscreen seems a long way from you, it did seem a little strange to have it so close. Strange, in a good way though - I liked the more cosseting feel it gave the driver.

First drive with the roof up. There was a lot of booming in the cabin from the JCW exhaust on the move, but this is not something that bothers me. Road noise was quite loud, but again, I expected this with a single skin roof and runflat tyres.

As it's been a while since I drove a MINI, I must say that it felt really darty compared to my Audi TT daily driver. Acceleration was super strong too, especially with the Sport Button pressed. It felt quite a bit quicker than my Cooper S.

Delighted by how quickly the roof went down. And how quietly. My Convertible's roof was terribly noisy. The catch to release the roof seemed a bit fiddly though, and a somewhat unnecessary cost saving measure. Sure you get the hang of it though.

Wind in the hair is where this car comes into it's own, and I really enjoyed this part of the test. Definitely more buffeting than in a Convertible, but I haven't really got enough hair left to make that an issue! Strange though, that even with the sport button engaged, I could not get the exhaust to pop - not once. I was expecting really loud crackles from it.

The down sides to this particular car, that had about 9,000 miles on it, were a few niggly rattles and squeaks. Now, every MINI owner knows about these, so it wasn't a surprise, but it seemed to be all coming from the bulkhead behind the driver. You'd think this would have been screwed together a little better. They weren't deal breakers though, because if I owned one of these cars, the roof would be down most of the time anyway.

Just waiting now for a "cost to change" from the dealer...

PAUL
Worcestershire, UK
Previous owner of MINI Cooper S 2nd Gen Convertible + JCW bodykit

The Following User Says Thank You to fasterthanlight For This Useful Post:
Elphaba (22nd July 2013)
Old
  (#12 (permalink))
totalAddict
Greigjcw has disabled reputation

Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,368 Posts

Default 22nd July 2013, 05:14 AM

Sounds like you have made your mind up. What age is the car then? I know the N14 works was a little quieter in the exhaust region or certainly some people reported it. My N14 works did pop and bang bu the N18 goes mental when its warm.

Anyway back to the roadster I hope you can sort out a deal, I think the thing is with these cars you will have the upper hand there wont be a queue for cars like this as they are a very small niche market so remind the dealers of that if they play hard ball.

On a side note get the runflats off and most of the rattles will stop, thats what happened to me.

Good luck

Old
  (#13 (permalink))
Never too old for fun!
davyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to alldavyboy is a name known to all

Thanked 1,540 Times in 1,425 Posts

Default 22nd July 2013, 05:50 AM

Nice report

Looking forward to seeing the photos after you buy it

"Life's too short not to!!"

Old
  (#14 (permalink))
Exterminate!
Elphaba is a jewel in the roughElphaba is a jewel in the roughElphaba is a jewel in the roughElphaba is a jewel in the rough

Default 22nd July 2013, 07:11 AM

Great concise review, thanks

All 4 one...

Old
  (#15 (permalink))
Total Member
Rakey is just really niceRakey is just really niceRakey is just really niceRakey is just really niceRakey is just really nice

Default 22nd July 2013, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Other than that, it's all good! Saying that, it's going back in in a few weeks as the roof bangs up and down whilst in the down position

Be interested to hear what they do to stop that, as they all do this as the roof doesn't lock in the down position like the convertible does.

Old
  (#16 (permalink))
totalMember
JCW is on a distinguished road

Default 23rd July 2013, 09:13 PM

As said, the previous engine doesn't pop, I think this is identified by no Stop Start?

Hers is a right noisy little ****!

It is Kite Blue, there's defiantly another one exactly the same bar black mirrors down South, as the first one got rejected and went back to the supplying dealer

It's defiantly a fault on the roof, sounds like something's missing - the first one definitely didn't do it

Old
  (#17 (permalink))
Total Member
Rakey is just really niceRakey is just really niceRakey is just really niceRakey is just really niceRakey is just really nice

Default 23rd July 2013, 09:21 PM

Quote:
As said, the previous engine doesn't pop, I think this is identified by no Stop Start?

Hers is a right noisy little ****!

It is Kite Blue, there's defiantly another one exactly the same bar black mirrors down South, as the first one got rejected and went back to the supplying dealer

It's defiantly a fault on the roof, sounds like something's missing - the first one definitely didn't do it
Mine doesn't have stop/start and is the N14 engine, but pops and bangs like a good'un, not as much as my GP did, but no complaints from me on the noise, but not tried the N18 to see how it compares

Old
  (#18 (permalink))
totalBeginner
fasterthanlight is on a distinguished road

Default 24th July 2013, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greigjcw View Post
I hope you can sort out a deal, I think the thing is with these cars you will have the upper hand there wont be a queue for cars like this as they are a very small niche market so remind the dealers of that if they play hard ball.
The car I drove was registered 28Nov12, so possibly had the older engine? There certainly aren't many JCW Roadsters in the UK. How Many Left, seems to suggest that there's only about 150 in existence.

PAUL
Worcestershire, UK
Previous owner of MINI Cooper S 2nd Gen Convertible + JCW bodykit

JCW Roadster road test
Old
  (#19 (permalink))
totalAddict
Greigjcw has disabled reputation

Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,368 Posts

Default JCW Roadster road test - 24th July 2013, 02:21 PM

Should be an n14 with that registration. Best way to check is does the engine have a cover with a jcw badge or a mini badge. The new engine has the jcw badge.

Old
  (#20 (permalink))
totalMember
JCW is on a distinguished road

Default 25th July 2013, 08:20 PM

In which case you need to drive an N18 engine - thatll make you smile!