totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > Model & Non-Model Specific > Interior & Interior Electronics
Reload this Page HELP, loose wires under drviers seat.

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
HELP, loose wires under drviers seat.
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
cwheathman is on a distinguished road

Default HELP, loose wires under drviers seat. - 10th March 2014, 03:13 PM

Mini one, 57 plate, convertable.

Help needed.

My girlfriends mini was flooded due to a leak in the door seals. This required me to strip the entire car to take the carpet out and dry it (and fix the problem).

On taking out the carpet I found a couple of loose wires under the drivers seat. I have attached a picture and hope someone can tell me what these are for, how to fix it etc?

Nothing is actually not working in the car (apart from the radio that says DISABLED, but im assumin this was to do with me disconntecting the battery (?) )

Any help would be hugely appreciated.

Thank you.

Callum.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140307_195912.jpg (86.9 KB, 21 views)

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAddict
zirconmr2 is on a distinguished road

Default 10th March 2014, 03:40 PM

they look to me like ground points (earth)

the radio saying disabled means it is not connected to the data bus, again could be a ground issue

during led change

plug it in and all connected it will be fine

after led change and fitted

go over things properly, ensuring all ground points are secure, then check all the plugs (cd changer end, antenna amp, this is by your right arm if you sit in the rear seat, drivers side) make sure all the plugs n sockets are dry and not causing a short circuit.

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 10th March 2014, 03:55 PM

thanks for that.

Firstly, i do nto understand what you mean by...

" during led change

plug it in and all connected it will be fine

after led change and fitted"

Secondly, there are 7 wires goig in to this box, with two being disconnected. How to I remove the unti from the black casing and how do you suggest to re-attach them?

What will happen if these are left disconnected?

Sorry if im being stupid but im no mechanic! lol.

Thanks again for the help.

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 10th March 2014, 04:31 PM

ok, they are NOT earth, they are the data link, they are why your radio says disable, look on page 32 of this link, http://www.bmw-planet.com/lib/mini/WIRING.pdf
down the right hand side, everything has a white/red/yellow wire running into it, all joined together, so just find a way to connect all those together, maybe use scotchloks, or strip a bit of shielding back and solder the wires, but make sure everything is connected properly. you should notice the radio display back to normal if things are working correctly.

the radio i pictured was undergoing a led colour change and is pictured on my workbench connected to 12volts only, with no data bus plugged in the display reads disable, once its plugged into the cars wiring loom the display goes back to normal.

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 10th March 2014, 04:39 PM

also something else, from the picture you have posted, things are nowhere near dry enough, i can see moisture on the black plastic, things are going to short out or corrode if not dried fully.

you need to gey a hairdryer in all the nooks n crannies. even then things may well come back to haunt you, there is a reason flooded cars are written off never to see the road again, even though it looks like very little is wrong.
personally i would be on at the insurance company, and be getting it written off, even if it works tomorrow, there is no guarantee that an important safety feature hasnt suffered water ingression and will fail when you least expect it.

just my 2 cents, but i wouldnt want to be responsible for my missus driving it.

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 10th March 2014, 05:16 PM

ok, i tried to take the black plastic to expose the unit inside but could not do it. I will have to give it another go. if i broke it, assume another can be purchased?

We dried up as much as humanly possible, the carpet was out for over two weeks. and the footwell drained and dried.

would you suggest to take it in to mini and get it serviced etc?

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 10th March 2014, 08:38 PM

Also, it was about 1-1.5 inches of water under the carpet. Would you suggest the car should be written off even then?

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 10th March 2014, 09:04 PM

how high did the water reach, did it reach the bcm (body control module) also called general module in the above wiring link i sent.
you need to be thinking where can water gather, such as inside the throttle pedal, inside the bcm and other modules that are low down. maybe inside the seatbelt pretensioners (which are explosive)

as for the black plastic thing above, it has the part number showing in the picture 1393765
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Wiring-Conne.../dp/B009KXZJCM
all it is a a junction where all wires go into to join together, any cable junction will do if it physically fits in the area required. you could simply junk the black plastc and twist all the ends of the wires together but it would be better to get a more solid connection on a data line.

once you feel confident its as dry as your going to get it, and those wires are connected together (it could be the only fault you have, causing the radio to be disabled), i would do a diagnostic.
i use a c110, which has helped me find abs faults, airbag faults, misfires etc, so its a useful little thing.
BMW C110 Scanner Airbag ABS Engine Diagnostic Fault Code Scan Tool Reader OBD2 | eBay
this will tell you if there are any faults on the body, chassis, or engine, it will reset airbags etc too.
delete any codes, and then start again now its dry to see if any more appear.
or take it to a garage for a diagnostic

my post above was just for a worst case scenario, water when left in these modules will obviously destroy them, and you wouldnt want a fault on the airbag system when driving at speed and having one deploy in your face. not saying it will happen but it could?

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 10th March 2014, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwheathman View Post
Also, it was about 1-1.5 inches of water under the carpet. Would you suggest the car should be written off even then?

so not a huge flood then, dont worry too much, sounds as though it wasnt high enough to reach more important modules. didnt mean to scaremonger, just pointing out possibilites.

i was thinking you were stuck in standing water level higher than door seal

Old
  (#10 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 11th March 2014, 07:56 AM

Hi, thanks for your reply. It was no more than 1.5 inches of water. The bcm u refer to did not seem to be affected by the water (it wasn't that high). I'm going to attempt to sort the wires this evening. Once that sorted I'm going to take it in the the garage and get a diagnostic test done on it. Hopefully all is well. Appreciate your help. Thanks.

Tags
electrical, electronics