totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
It's all about that bass....
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Evieandpoppy is on a distinguished road

Default It's all about that bass.... - 21st January 2015, 09:50 PM

Having looked at the forum for ideas on how to improve the sound in my 2008 cooper I decided to take the plunge with the channel swap cable. I believe it was new mini stuff that sent it to me via eBay.

The cable arrived today and I fitted it tonight. What can I say? I certainly wasn't expecting much but I was actually blown away with what I heard. I think it is what the stereo should've sounded like when it was new. I know I wasn't going to get harmon kardon quality but I am mightily impressed which a channel swap at a relatively small cost..

Can it be improved further at a reasonable cost?

Any ideas welcome...

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
TotallyObsessed
Jordan is on a distinguished road

Default 21st January 2015, 10:45 PM

Next step buy some upgraded 6x9s for the rear. Plug and play pretty much.

Also buy the pillar tweeters for the front. The same one that come with the harmon kardon kit. Will make it sound another 50% better

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalMember
cjm is on a distinguished road

Default 22nd January 2015, 10:18 AM

Yup totally agree with Jordan. One slight difference tho'

I'd personally go for the front pillar tweeters before replacing the rears. IMO the OEM rears are good enough when the pillars are in place since the rears are capable of a better bass response after the swap. I found this combination gave the best v-f-m for me. Mikey can advise about the wiring I'm sure; he added the tweeter wiring to my channel-swap multiplug as part of the package.

Something else I found that 'worked' for me was to make sure the pillar tweeters were 4ohm as per the now discontinued 'hi-fi' option that upgraded the audio around 2008. I was worried that the sound intensity of the pillars would be different and found that it all matched up ok. Mine were BMW/MINI but Clarions were offered as an upgrade at the time...I vaguely remember the later HK kit had 2ohm tweeters(?) and I was concerned the sound level would be different somehow. Perhaps you can confirm their compatibility, Jordan?

I seem to remember that upgrading the rears was considered really difficult and not such good v-f-m by many forum posters.

I've taken my channel swap into my 4th MINI. My latest N18 MCS doesn't seem to have the front bass-cut-off issue that made the audio so 'lifeless' on the N14 but I still fitted it so as to use the pillar tweeters, which raise the sound stage and add 'top end' to the (now improved) bass response.

BTW IMO you're right; it's how the audio should have sounded from new. I think channel-swap-plus-tweeters is not far short of the HK option, which was much more expensive!

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
in hibernation
Madmoggy is on a distinguished road

Default 22nd January 2015, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm View Post

I'd personally go for the front pillar tweeters before replacing the rears.
Wot he said^
Thats exactly what I did. I got a pair of pillars with clarion tweeters in, did the channel swap mod and then decided that was good enough and didnt bother replacing the 6x9 (I had a set of DLS 269s ready to go in)

Hang on a minute lads, I've got a great idea! Errrr.......

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalAddict
CTurbinado is on a distinguished road

Default It's all about that bass.... - 22nd January 2015, 03:15 PM

I had the tweeter upgrade and channel swap and it is a huge improvement over stock. Then decided that wasn't enough.. So this happened:

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
TotallyObsessed
Jordan is on a distinguished road

Default 23rd January 2015, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjm View Post

I'd personally go for the front pillar tweeters before replacing the rears. IMO the OEM rears are good enough when the pillars are in place since the rears are capable of a better bass response after the swap. I found this combination gave the best v-f-m for me. Mikey can advise about the wiring I'm sure; he added the tweeter wiring to my channel-swap multiplug as part of the package.

Something else I found that 'worked' for me was to make sure the pillar tweeters were 4ohm as per the now discontinued 'hi-fi' option that upgraded the audio around 2008. I was worried that the sound intensity of the pillars would be different and found that it all matched up ok. Mine were BMW/MINI but Clarions were offered as an upgrade at the time...I vaguely remember the later HK kit had 2ohm tweeters(?) and I was concerned the sound level would be different somehow. Perhaps you can confirm their compatibility, Jordan?

I seem to remember that upgrading the rears was considered really difficult and not such good v-f-m by many forum posters.

I've taken my channel swap into my 4th MINI. My latest N18 MCS doesn't seem to have the front bass-cut-off issue that made the audio so 'lifeless' on the N14 but I still fitted it so as to use the pillar tweeters, which raise the sound stage and add 'top end' to the (now improved) bass response.

BTW IMO you're right; it's how the audio should have sounded from new. I think channel-swap-plus-tweeters is not far short of the HK option, which was much more expensive!

i replaced the rear 6x9s cos i had them lying about and it was free..

i also channel swapped mine myself using the guide on NAM so that was also free..never needed the front tweeters but i did have a sub and amp in the boot also :P

about the 4ohm and 2ohm impendance.. i havent a clue

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
in hibernation

Default 23rd January 2015, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTurbinado View Post
I had the tweeter upgrade and channel swap and it is a huge improvement over stock. Then decided that wasn't enough.. So this happened:
I'm intrigued, what is it?

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
totalAddict
CTurbinado is on a distinguished road

Default It's all about that bass.... - 23rd January 2015, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmoggy View Post
I'm intrigued, what is it?

iPad mini connected to Audison bit ten d which then goes on to Phoenix gold amp, components, 6x9s and sub

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
in hibernation

Default 23rd January 2015, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTurbinado View Post
iPad mini connected to Audison bit ten d which then goes on to Phoenix gold amp, components, 6x9s and sub
Nice. I fancy an Audison processor next, I had an RF3Sixty.2 in my last build but found the cutoff slopes limiting and couldnt do three way front end.