totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Help with iPhone connection
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Ianmc is on a distinguished road

Icon11 Help with iPhone connection - 5th November 2013, 06:45 PM

Hi all. I'm new here as I've just purchased my first mini. It's a 2013 cooper, second hand so I don't know exactly the spec. Basically, I've purchased a 'Y' cable via ebay with a view to being able to use the steering wheel controls and the display functionality when listening to music. I have Bluetooth for making calls but the salesperson said I'd need this cable for listening to music from my phone.
So I've paid 45 for what is I understand a genuine BMW/mini cable (61 12 2 179 623). However when I plug my iphone in (either 4, directly into it or 5 via a lightning adaptor), the mini display just says something along the lines of 'the cable you are using is not compatible'
So my question is, is the functionality to play music and control it through the Y cable only available if the car is fitted with optional extras, and if so, how would I find out if my car has them fitted? The Bluetooth calls work fine as does the USB port just to charge and audio via the aux mini-jack.. But I was trying to avoid having two cables and also hoped to be able to skip tracks etc.

Thanks in advance to anyone that can help and apologies if this isn't the right thread to ask it
:-)

Help with iPhone connection
Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAddict
Greigjcw has disabled reputation

Thanked 1,564 Times in 1,368 Posts

Default Help with iPhone connection - 5th November 2013, 06:50 PM

.?

Last edited by Greigjcw; 5th November 2013 at 10:27 PM.

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
Exterminate!
Elphaba is a jewel in the roughElphaba is a jewel in the roughElphaba is a jewel in the roughElphaba is a jewel in the rough

Default 5th November 2013, 06:58 PM

If you have the most up to date 'media' cable it ironically won't work with a MINI that doesn't have visual boost or media pack. I found this when trying to use my lead in my gf's MINI. So if your MINI has the big speedo rather than sat nav screen in middle of dash, you have wrong lead.

All 4 one...

The Following User Says Thank You to Elphaba For This Useful Post:
Ianmc (5th November 2013)
Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Ianmc is on a distinguished road

Default 5th November 2013, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elphaba View Post
If you have the most up to date 'media' cable it ironically won't work with a MINI that doesn't have visual boost or media pack. I found this when trying to use my lead in my gf's MINI. So if your MINI has the big speedo rather than sat nav screen in middle of dash, you have wrong lead.
Thanks. I have a feeling this could be the issue as the seller I've bought it from did say that it was 'the more expensive' of the cables available and worked with video in her car.
Is there any easy way of knowing which cable I need (ie if I'm looking on ebay)? My car certainly does only have the speedo and not the satnav screen.
Help much appreciated!..

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
Formally was Mini S Mad
JcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of lightJcwMiniAdventures is a glorious beacon of light

Thanked 1,623 Times in 1,447 Posts

Default 5th November 2013, 07:15 PM

Have a look here there explained the differnce/pics in here

http://www.totalmini.com/forum/45-20...explained.html

MODERN MINI FRONT COVER STAR