totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Go Back   totalMINI Forums - MINI Forum > Model & Non-Model Specific > Engine & Drivetrain Tuning > 2006-2014, 2nd Generation
Reload this Page N18 MCS Manis stage 1 tuning with magnaflow sports cat custom downpipe dyno results

Click here to visit our sponsors

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
N18 MCS Manic stage 1 tuning with magnaflow sports cat custom downpipe dyno results
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Ant73 is on a distinguished road

Default N18 MCS Manic stage 1 tuning with magnaflow sports cat custom downpipe dyno results - 20th October 2017, 06:50 PM

to anyone interested in N18 MCS manic stage 1 tuning or hardware mods,
I have added a magna flow sports cat to a decat pipe as I had read good things regarding the magna flow cats on other forums, regarding good gas flow, small and lightweight, which it definitely is, and mostly for me, it is very quiet and is quieter than the normal downpipe and smoother too. I got the two welded together by jonathan at station motor sport in market Harborough, leics as he made my custom strut brace too and is a trustworth and top class fabricator and welder. he also fitted it and made the mounting bracket too which you can see in the pics, cost of welding fabricating and fitting was 160 so total cost incl decat pipe and cat was approx. 360. It was a borderline pass on the mot, emissions test attached, howver the car was stood cold for 1 1/2 hrs prior to test and just ran on idle for few mins before test rather than getting the cat really hot before the test. There is also the option of using cataclean (loads of good reviews using google search on this product)to get the emissions down a bit before the proper mot to make sure it passes well.
From the graphs using run 2 a 12 bhp and 17nm increase can be seen or 23nm increase using run 3. more notably the curves are a lot smoother than the dyno graph without the downpipe fitted and the torque is made approx. 500 rpm further down the rev range and as a result the driveablity has been greatly increased since I fitted it and the car is now even smoother to drive than before. It is probably the top end of what is achieveable on the stage 1 map, the car still in mode 1B incidentally for the dyno run with downpipe (targets 1.4 bar). standard clutch and dmf copes well with this and I have no issues, but was advised by lohen stage 2 would probably need uprated clutch and flywheel to avoid slip. Although at 600 to switch to stage 2 plus cost of uprated clutch and flywheel I'll probably settle for this. Anyway hope this has been of interest to the N18 MCS owners out there.

STAINLESS STEEL FRONT DE CAT PIPE EXHAUST DOWNPIPE MINI R56 R60 COOPER S TURBO | eBay

Magnaflow 200 Zeller Sport Cat Catalytic Converter Mini Cooper S R56 2 3/8in | eBay
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image45.jpg (19.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg image50.jpg (15.5 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Scan0001.jpg (91.2 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg dyno2.jpg (89.3 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg mot.jpg (84.5 KB, 6 views)

Last edited by Ant73; 20th October 2017 at 07:45 PM.

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Ant73 is on a distinguished road

Default 20th October 2017, 07:02 PM

just to note, car also has airtec FMIC, uprated NGK spark plugs and ITG filter and the stage 1B manic map,