totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
First post - best discs and rotors?
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
jamievhalton is on a distinguished road

MINI Icon Blue First post - best discs and rotors? - 9th April 2017, 04:58 PM

Hey guys.

I recently got a 2008 Cooper D. See:

Just the other day a brake pad warning light came on. Checked the pads and sure enough the rears are pretty worn out, so I'm looking at options. I'm going to replace the discs as well as I'm pretty sure they're original.

I'm looking at EBC Greenstuff pads at the moment as the most probable option, but when it comes to discs I'm not sure where to go. Is it worth going for a vented/drilled option? What are some good budget brands? I'm looking at spending about 50/60 on both discs, or less if possible. My driving style is quite 'spirited', but I never plan on taking this car to the track.

Looking on eBay, the brand 'MTEC Brakes' keeps coming up, and they look quite good.

Jamie.

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAddict
KarlW11R50 is on a distinguished road

Default First post - best discs and rotors? - 9th April 2017, 05:38 PM

MTEC are junk.

280mm discs are what you need unless the Cooper D has the larger "S" calipers which are 294mm.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301930361280

You can't​ get them drilled and grooved in that size, only in 294mm. If you wanted to convert your brakes to the larger size you only need to change the carriers as the caliper is the same. Pad fitment is also the same. You can even re-use your guide pins - just get some fresh grease for them.

EBC pads weren't very good in the past. I've seen a lot that have just fallen apart after some abuse. I'm not sure if that's still the case - someone on here may know and interject. I know their discs are still terrible and don't take much heat.

I'm not sure what suitable road pads are about. I'm using DS2500 on my GP and although they're ok they are very squealy until you get some heat in them. And they're about​ 130 a pair. M1144 are same sort of money and very dusty, Carbortech are much better but their whole range is about 200 an axle and would probably get through discs quiet quickly haha.

After just chewing through Brembo "performance" pads and baking the discs in 5000 road miles I'd suggest avoiding those.

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalBeginner
jamievhalton is on a distinguished road

Default 9th April 2017, 06:16 PM

Interesting, I rarely hear bad things about EBC, now I'm not sure what to believe...

I suspect I will indeed just go with some OE Pagid/Brembo discs as you suggest. Not too fussed with getting bigger brakes, especially on the rear, as I don't want to thrash the car like I did my last.

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default First post - best discs and rotors? - 9th April 2017, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamievhalton View Post
Interesting, I rarely hear bad things about EBC, now I'm not sure what to believe...

I suspect I will indeed just go with some OE Pagid/Brembo discs as you suggest. Not too fussed with getting bigger brakes, especially on the rear, as I don't want to thrash the car like I did my last.
I haven't heard anything bad about the EBC stuff for a while - but I don't see as many people using it as I used to. I read a post just a few days ago where someone was saying they are much improved now.

Pagid I think are very good value for money. For me it's those (or Zimmerman if you can find them) for general, then Nitrac for performance.

I'll try and find the picture of my Brembo discs that couldn't even handle road use! After a brisk drive along the coast road they got so hot a discoloured band appeared in the middle of the fronts. Somehow the backs got so overheated they were smoking!!

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
ground control
tcbw is on a distinguished road

Default 10th April 2017, 11:43 AM

Karl I thought you were the sensible type, seems like you should be running Nitracs.

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default First post - best discs and rotors? - 10th April 2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcbw View Post
Karl I thought you were the sensible type, seems like you should be running Nitracs.
The Brembo were on the GP when i bought it!
I've fitted Pagid discs now. I can't afford Nitrac on the daily while trying to build my track car

The Following User Says Thank You to KarlW11R50 For This Useful Post:
tcbw (11th April 2017)
Old
  (#7 (permalink))
TotallyObsessed
Jordan is on a distinguished road

Default 10th April 2017, 12:11 PM

your budged doesnt allow for the best.

stick to PAGID for now

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
totalBeginner
SlimJim16v is on a distinguished road

Default 13th April 2017, 11:21 PM

My Brembo discs were so badly machined I sent them back and got EBC instead.

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
totalMember
Dazzler32 is on a distinguished road

Default 20th April 2017, 06:51 PM

I have Brembo HC and ds2500 fitted to my SD which runs the same 280mm discs. Not had any issues with squealing or banding on the discs.

As said always buy the best you can afford. I went the above route as that's what I fitted to my 182 Trophy and find it a really good setup.

Old
  (#10 (permalink))
1st Mini
7head is on a distinguished road

Default 21st April 2017, 11:51 PM

If you haven't heard anything bad about ebc brake pads then you haven't looked very far!

I have never seen a pad (be it red/green or yellow stuff) diversify opinion so vastly. They literally are marmite in terms of their rating. So much depends on your driving needs and style but I have known people put red stuff on their cars and remove them inside 2 days! I have also heard people sing their praises.... for this reason I have and always will avoid them.

I agree with the above.......... Brembo and ds2500 option. I have used them in the past and they will give you a more guaranteed result. Ebc are very hit or miss.

R60 Cooper S auto, Pure red, chilli, media and light packs. Harman Kardon. Lots of mods to come.....

Tags
brakes, performance, question