totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Car Unlocks and open Windows by itself
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
Gibon101 is on a distinguished road

Default Car Unlocks and open Windows by itself - 2nd January 2015, 09:48 AM

Hiya,

Twice in the past week I've woke up to find that my car windows (2003 R53)have come down and the doors have unlocked automatically over night.

Has anyone else had this problem or know what it can be because obviously it's a little worrying that the car does this on its own!

Any help much appreciated please.

Cheers

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalMember
ihughes is on a distinguished road

Default 2nd January 2015, 10:37 AM

You might be suffering the early signs of a failing battery especially if yours is the original 2003 factory fitted battery.

The original batteries seem to last about 10-11 years under normal conditions.

When the mini computer doesn't get enough volts it seems to play havoc with all the electrical functions. Not sure why this should happen overnight with the ignition off when the only battery drain is the alarm, but you never know.

The Following User Says Thank You to ihughes For This Useful Post:
Gibon101 (2nd January 2015)
Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Default 2nd January 2015, 10:58 AM

Ah cheers, that seems to make sense will pick up a new battery and see if that stops it....hopefully it does!

Ta pal...

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalAddict
heathwebbo is on a distinguished road

Default 2nd January 2015, 04:47 PM

I can guarantee you it will be your door lock mechanism which is a common fault on the early minis, the microswitches inside them fail & cause all sorts of problems. Before you go out & buy anything take off your door panel on the drivers door first (could be drivers or passenger) & disconnect the electrics to the lock mechanism, you will then have to lock/unlock with the key but you will find it doesn't have the problem anymore. If you leave it you will find it gets worse as I did & mine was continuesly trying to unlock which then burnt out the passenger door lock mechanism & the petrol cap lock actuator

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalMember
ihughes is on a distinguished road

Default 3rd January 2015, 01:02 PM

Well I wouldn't recommend changing the battery without first having your existing one properly checked. If you aren't getting any other elecrical problems and it is starting okay first go then It's probably okay. I just know from experience that the Mini computer is very fussy about the power supply it is detecting from the battery and this leads to all kinds of weird electrical behaviour. If it is the original factory battery it has served you well to date!

The door lock actuators do tend to fail on Gen 1 Mini's BUT if you are not experiencing any central locking problems I'd be surprised if they were causing the overnight unlocking and the windows opening. But Heathwebbo is correct in suggesting the disconnection of the door lock actuators in both doors as a possible way of diagnosing if these are causing the problem overnight, although I wonder if it is possible to remove a fuse which is a lot less hassle than taking off both door cards?

When the car is locked with all the normal electrics off, the alarm/computer sends a tiny voltage signal around various circuits to check them and that the car is secure, but I wouldn't have thought this was enough to trigger the door actuators or windows?

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
totalAddict
heathwebbo is on a distinguished road

Default 3rd January 2015, 01:45 PM

When my actuator went bad the car unlocked itself & wound the windows down nearly every night especially if it was raining. The microswitch that controls the unlocking short out so its like holding your unlock button on the fob down or holding the key in the door lock in the unlock position which also rolls the windows down. It seems when its wet or even damp overnight the microswitches are more likely to play up

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalAddict
Manic Mechanic is on a distinguished road

Default 3rd January 2015, 02:35 PM

Could you have inadvertently pressed the unlock button when the keys were in your pocket?

I did this last Christmas, fortunately it wasn't snowing...

I used to accidentally open the boot on my old car like this!

Pete.

Make something idiot proof and someone will only go and build a better idiot...

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
totalBeginner

Icon14 6th January 2015, 06:11 PM

HI All,

Cheers for the replies....sorry lack of contact not been on here for a few days so only just seen all these.

I actually got the battery tested the other day and it was shot so got a new one and touch wood it seems to be fine....I have recently changed my alternator which went back in late November so I think it might have been shot the battery too - only just put two and two together when I went to get the battery tested!

New battery fitted for 4 days and (touch wood) it's not done it since....it was doing it every night before.

Thanks again for the help and advice though all.

Had a bit of a mare with my job recently so the car's been on a back burner since I bought it last year but hopefully getting sorted soon so should be back in the game and up for some meets in the summer hopefully!

Tags
r53, unlocking, windows