totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Rain X
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
GLloyd303@gmail.com
InkAndDrink303 is on a distinguished road

Angry Rain X - 2nd July 2015, 08:30 AM

Anyone else use Rain X here?

I have used it on previous cars with no issue - took my Mini for a clean at the hand wash in Banbury last weekend, and was sparkling when I left. I applied some Rain X to the windscreen and windows all around when I got home although maybe didnt use the correct technique as I have since read I should let it fully dry before buffering? I applied it and simply buffered it in until it had 'vanished'.

Driving down the motorway a few hours later and a bird sh!ts on the windscreen (of course it does, straight after its cleaned!!!) so I spray a little windscreen washer on the windows, hit the wipers and my windscreen smudges and smears something chronic!

Now it just looks sticky and smeared and I'm kinda p!ssed off with it to be honest.

Did I use the incorrect technique to apply? Should I only have pure water in the washer bottle rather than windscreen washer?

Thoughts please ...

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAddict
JakeMiCo is on a distinguished road

Default 2nd July 2015, 08:53 AM

Rain-X wont stop sh!t sticking. Just use some more to clean it off. Can't really go wrong.. Spray, wipe clean and buff

I have THIS spray stuff and use that to clean the windows as and when they get dirty. It's great for repelling water, Seems to quieten down the wipers and may make it a little easier to clean when bugs etc splat.

I've never thought it worth while but they do, do a washer fluid additive? Only a few so may be worth a shot.

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
GLloyd303@gmail.com

Default 2nd July 2015, 09:04 AM

Yes! I saw the washer additive actually and almost wish I had gone for that now.

Use more Rain X to clean down the smeared windscreen now? Should I not use soapy water to actually try and get it clean first? (I'm not questioning what you're saying btw - just double checking!)

This is the one I use.

Thanks for your speedy reply! I really need to take it back to the hand car wash anyway, as she's looking dirty already (funny how I didnt give a sh!t when I had my T-reg Puma prior to the Mini) - I would do it myself along with detailing but I'm just so hectic with work etc at the moment I simply dont have time.

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 2nd July 2015, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkAndDrink303 View Post
Yes! I saw the washer additive actually and almost wish I had gone for that now.

Use more Rain X to clean down the smeared windscreen now? Should I not use soapy water to actually try and get it clean first? (I'm not questioning what you're saying btw - just double checking!)

This is the one I use.

Thanks for your speedy reply! I really need to take it back to the hand car wash anyway, as she's looking dirty already (funny how I didnt give a sh!t when I had my T-reg Puma prior to the Mini) - I would do it myself along with detailing but I'm just so hectic with work etc at the moment I simply dont have time.
Oooh... I just use the 2 in 1 stuff. It's basically glass cleaner and repellent in one bottle. Can't speak for the stuff you use though

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
TotallyObsessed
Jordan is on a distinguished road

Default 2nd July 2015, 12:34 PM

i use AG aqua wax on my car and glass, and then go over with fast glass.. does a great job.

never tried rain X but apparently Gtecniq stuff is the best as creating that hydrophobic layer you want

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
TotallyObsessed
Jordan is on a distinguished road

Default 2nd July 2015, 12:36 PM

oh last time i checked you could buy Rain X from Euro car parts

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
GLloyd303@gmail.com

Default 2nd July 2015, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
i use AG aqua wax on my car and glass, and then go over with fast glass.. does a great job.

never tried rain X but apparently Gtecniq stuff is the best as creating that hydrophobic layer you want
Thanks dude - I got my Rain X from eBay as I'm not too experienced with cleaning cars etc and I just knew it had worked previously. Does this AG Auto Wax do a similar job but all over the car including windows? It would be nice to keep that shine after the car wash I guess ... She seems to get dirty too easily!

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
totalAddict

Default 2nd July 2015, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InkAndDrink303 View Post
Thanks dude - I got my Rain X from eBay as I'm not too experienced with cleaning cars etc and I just knew it had worked previously. Does this AG Auto Wax do a similar job but all over the car including windows? It would be nice to keep that shine after the car wash I guess ... She seems to get dirty too easily!
If you want the best, G-Techniq is the stuff. I've used C5 Wheel Armour on rims before and nothing sticks! Brake dust washes off with the pressure washer after applying the stuff.

I'd imagine their glass stuff would be fantastic too! Pricey though.

Old
  (#9 (permalink))
totalAdmin
118 is a jewel in the rough118 is a jewel in the rough118 is a jewel in the rough

Thanked 1,184 Times in 920 Posts

Default 2nd July 2015, 06:06 PM

I use Angelwax H2GO rain repellent, it's great stuff and really easy to apply. Have a look at this thread - Angelwax H2GO Rain Repellent - Mini Review)

Old
  (#10 (permalink))
totalMember
KidneySD is on a distinguished road

Icon4 2nd July 2015, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 118 View Post
Have a look at this thread - Angelwax H2GO Rain Repellent - Mini Review)
Linky broken 118

Tags
cleaning, rain x, windscreen