totalMINI
Home Forum Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Like/Follow Us here: 
Euro Road trip, planning help?
Old
  (#1 (permalink))
totalBeginner
S3_graham is on a distinguished road

Default Euro Road trip, planning help? - 24th June 2015, 07:56 AM

Morning all,

Off round Europe in my R53. Ex gf used to have an 07 cooper convertible but new to S ownership. Looking for any tips for planning and car wise?

The car is due oil change but having an Insp I for a general check over. I'm planning on taking some oil. Maybe a couple of 1L bottles? Bit of coolant just in case and some screen wash. I have the a yellow jacket but need to get the alcohol tester thingy and a warning triangle. Anything else?

My main concern is tyres. It had some 17's wheels on it when I bought it. I've since ditched them as I didnt like the style (they were black). Im on standard 16" x-lites. They are fitted with OEM Goodyear RFT's. Rears have about 2mm and fronts 4mm. I.e. they need replacing. Long term plan is to ditch RFT's as in my experisnve (on various BMW's) they are horrible.

Seeing as the car doesnt have a spare.... do I replace RFT with RFT or go with some Michelin PS2or3 and a few cans of tyre spray. Leaning towards tyre spray tbh!

Any hints or tips would be great, Route out is:

Bromley>Nurburgring>Munich>Stelvio Pass>Lake Garda

Route back is undecided but will include Paris.

Old
  (#2 (permalink))
totalAdmin
118 is a jewel in the rough118 is a jewel in the rough118 is a jewel in the rough

Thanked 1,184 Times in 920 Posts

Default 24th June 2015, 08:31 AM

Enjoy your trip! Have you done much driving in Europe before? I've done several trips down to Italy, through Switzerland, France, Luxembourg, Monaco, as well as the South of France, there are some amazing roads on the way down/back

I was at the Ring a couple of weeks ago actually, there's a few pics on the last page or two of my thread here if you want to take a look, been going for about 10 years now

I'd say you'd be fine with tyre spray tbh, and a compressor too

Old
  (#3 (permalink))
totalAddict
keano is on a distinguished road

Default 24th June 2015, 09:11 AM

Did a trip to Italy last summer - broke down on the Paris ring road on the way back. My biggest recommendation is to get everything on the car checked and sorted prior to going as it can be a ball ache if the car gets upset! Don't forget your European breakdown cover - I went with AXA for around 25 and although a pain to deal with, they paid back every penny with zero fuss.

In terms of routes I stuck to main roads and tolls through France when wanting to press on and the journey was effortless - obviously could have been cheaper but for me it was worth it.

Best get new tyres in my view and a plus 1 on getting the spray/compressor.

I found having a passenger very useful when paying tolls - ie I sat there and they sorted it out - highly recommended!

Old
  (#4 (permalink))
totalBeginner
S3_graham is on a distinguished road

Default 24th June 2015, 09:37 AM

GF will be coming with me so she can do the Toll paying! Had forgotten about the euro break down. Its on the list but had slipped my mind! Not done a vast amount in Europe. Done a bit in the states, drove to Germany about 7-8 years ago and had the odd holiday rental in Spain.

I think i'll just go with the new PS2's and spray+compressor. Hoping that the INSP I should be a good enough check over to last me a few thousand miles. I wont be hammering it around.

Thank god the car has cruise control....

BTW: do you have any tips for the ring? Im really in 2 minds whether to put a lap in or not. Its something I want to do but Im very concious of the fact there are a vast number of dicks there just waiting to crash. It'd ruin the entire holiday. Im thinking I should probably use this to scope it out, then go back with a few pals and not the GF. That added on to the fact that I really dont have a lot of time there, its literally a night and then onto Munich for a factory tour.

Last edited by S3_graham; 24th June 2015 at 09:44 AM.

Old
  (#5 (permalink))
totalAdmin
118 is a jewel in the rough118 is a jewel in the rough118 is a jewel in the rough

Default 24th June 2015, 08:01 PM

Whenever I go to the Ring I tend to avoid weekends, and also if there are any other events on, as that's when it gets really busy. As an example, when we were there the other week we went Monday-Thursday and it was open for touristenfahrten from 5:15pm-7:30pm, so we got up to the car park for about 5pm and watched for the first 10 mins or so to see how busy it was when it opened.

If you go out, the rules of the road apply to the Ring as it's basically a toll road, so keep to the right, allow traffic to pass on your left and keep an eye on your mirrors, especially for bikes. The first lap or two that you go out, it's good to have a passenger just keeping an extra pair of eyes open for you, especially for the bikes, as they do come out of nowhere and are quite often in your blindspot when you're driving a right hand drive car. Also, don't time it, that's when you're more likely to make a mistake and it's not worth it, just enjoy it!

If you don't want to drive round it, but want a real experience, go into the Ring Taxi office in the car park and try and book a Ring Taxi, they're not cheap (around 350 euros per car for the M5, so it's worth trying to get 3 people in) but it's such an adrenalin rush, and there's no way you'd be able to do a lap yourself like that = ---->

Old
  (#6 (permalink))
totalAddict
keano is on a distinguished road

Default 25th June 2015, 08:04 AM

Definitely no lap timing now

Nurburgring: no more lap times | PistonHeads

Old
  (#7 (permalink))
totalAdmin

Default 25th June 2015, 09:52 PM

Haha that's true!

Old
  (#8 (permalink))
totalAddict
MAB is on a distinguished road

Default 27th June 2015, 08:13 AM

You can now buy a Tag in the UK for the automatic toll gates in France to save queues and payment hassles (discounted with Euro Tunnel).
Sanef Tolling - Eurotunnel Le Shuttle